PDA

View Full Version : ADSL questions

roofus
10-10-2003, 06:42 AM
Hi Guys, i know long time no here.
At my flat we are thinking of getting ADSL i have a few questions i was hoping i could get answered.

1. Who is the best in terms of service and price, I see orcon has pretty good deals, are they all just as bad as each other when it comes to port shaping?

2. I see you need to add filters to your line, we have about 6 jacks in our house does that mean we need a filter on each jack? or just the jacks we actually use. What does a filter look like and is it easy to install?

3. I checked my phone number through telecoms adsl site and it said we don't meet the minimum speed requirements (aka far away from the exchange) (surprising considering i live 100m from the corner of Balmoral and Dominion road!) anyway it says my min is like 1.4mbits max 2.7mbits
Is this really going to affect me when im connecting at 128k or 256k?

4. What kind of adsl modem do i need to get. There will be a network involved with my PC being the server/dns (whatever its called) to the internet. is this (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/3f85a55c0d00d4602740c0a87f9906e3/Product/View/XH1148) sufficient? given the setup i've just said. Bit if i get this (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/3f85a55c0d00d4602740c0a87f9906e3/Product/View/XH1149) does it mean i don't have to have a server running all the time, and the computers can hook into the modem/router and connect directly to the net?

What else do i need to know?

Thanks in advance

ilikelinux
10-10-2003, 06:51 AM
1 - I am through ihug and i get a data cap of 10 gb a mounth,
2 - You will only need to install splitters or filters on the ones you use. Dse Splitter (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/3f85a809076c16ec273fc0a87f9906ea/Product/View/XH7556)

3 No

4- I would get the router as then if your were to add more computers to the network, they could access the internet straight away, if they have dhcp enabled on their computer.

godfather
10-10-2003, 07:51 AM
Agree with the above.

Avoid the USB connected modem.
Go for the router.

Budda
10-10-2003, 07:53 AM
1, all rather the same at mo, except for xtra which only give you 5Gb instead of 10Gb like everyone else. But orcon seem to be in most peoples good books.

2, Yes you do need a filter on each line (~$20 each) but would prob be better to get telecon to put a main filter on your incoming line to house ( you could do yourself, but since your asking about it prob better to get them to do it)

3, Jetstart will run fine on that line, even jetstream will run fine(at work we can only run about 1Mbit but with telecon its take it or leave it :( )

4, If you have a home network its much easier to get a router rather than a modem as that will handle all the NAT. Something like a router hub might be a good idea (eg: http://www.dlink.co.nz/products/broadband/dsl504/ )

Murray P
10-10-2003, 08:20 AM
Agree with all above but to clarify. Ethernet router or WiFi. If the router you get does not have a built in switch get a separate one, it allows more expandability anyway, should be able to pick up a 2nd hand router and a new 5-8 port switch for under $150-. There is no need for DHCP just allocate you network IP's individually. There is no need for ICS and your comp to be on, ie, the gateway, as the router is the gateway.

Less negotiation and hand-shaking type mucking around once you have set up as per above. Avoid PCI and usb modem/routers like the plague.

Cheers Murray P

Pheonix
10-10-2003, 09:16 AM
I agree with above and can only add, that I have just signed up with Slingshot jetstart with NO cap and at $29.95/Mnth (Plus Telecom charges). Just seems like a good deal.

Terry Porritt
10-10-2003, 11:16 AM
It doesnt seem to have been mentioned, but you only need a filter on those jack points that have analogue devices like phones/answer phones etc attached. That may seem obvious, but if you're like me, I like to be told the obvious.

roofus
10-10-2003, 02:44 PM
thanks for your help guys.

Telecom has an offer of no setup connection fee ($99) does that apply to anyone getting ADSL (ie, would another ISP wavier thet setup connection fee as well) since at the end of the day its telecom that provides the access.

Odin
10-10-2003, 03:03 PM
Telecom is the only one currently who CAN set up your ADSL the setup fee of $99 is not to connect you to an ISP but to enable adsl on your phone line. You will still be able to choose what ISP you wish and most also wave their own $20 to $40 setup fee now but not always.

One other small note someone mentioned that you need a filter on all 6 jack points, this is NOT true unless you have 6 phones. You only need the filter for the jack points in which you are actually going to use a phone in. The filter is for your phone Not for your adsl router/modem.

roofus
10-10-2003, 03:21 PM
godfather you said avoid USB modems
However the router/modem i had linked is also USB and it looks like all the ones at DSE are as well.

Whats the deal?

Wayne H
10-10-2003, 03:26 PM
By your terms and conditions you sign with telecom you WILL have NO more than FIVE analouge connections if you have then you HAVE TO HAVE the full installation which is about $248 but during specials they sometimes waive the $99 so you only have to pay the contractors fee of 150

Murray P
10-10-2003, 04:17 PM
Hi roofus. the DSE XH1149 for $198- has both USB & Ethernet connections and a built in 4 port switch. Ideal if there are 1 to 4 other comps you want to connect (4 ports + uplink).

Cheers Murray P

Pheonix
10-10-2003, 04:24 PM
Roofus, check the links again, DSE has moved the pages :D
USB, like internal modems, utilize more of the CPU time to function. External modems that connect via a network connection, handle it within their own hardware themselves. So they don't slow down your PC. (and make it far easier for connection sharing as well.)

ilikelinux
10-10-2003, 04:33 PM
The router come with a cross over cable - whick allows you to connect an nother hub to the router.

And the usb connection acts like annother network card, but it only runs at 10mb per secound but the ethernet switch is 10/100 so if you have a network go for the ethernet.