PDA

View Full Version : Motel considered residential or business dwelling? ISP purpose

amijinx
09-10-2003, 09:55 PM
Hi, can someone help. I am doing a research and searching for suitable broadband connectivity for motels and wondering whether motels are considered a residential dwelling or business. Reason is if it's considered residential, then they are entitled for residential account. Am I right? Or pls point me to the right direction for this sort of question. Thank you.

nomad
09-10-2003, 09:59 PM
U can register internet using any addresse then use any phoneline jack with it ... which means u can use residential packages...

metla
09-10-2003, 10:06 PM
Whose name is the bill going to?...if its personal it will be paid by an individual,if its payed by the company then its a bussiness account.

That i believe should make it pretty obvious....

Jester
09-10-2003, 10:10 PM
I guess it depends on what the line will be used for. If the motel pipes the connection through to the units, and charges for them, then they may have to pay commercial rates. If they simply want a home connection to serve the owners residential dwelling, then they may be able to use a residential rate ISP.

One caveat - the phone line used for dial or Jetstream would most likely be supplied by Telecom, who may charge based on a business rate for line rental, regardless of whether you intend to use it for data rather than voice.

Ring some ISPs or Telecom and ask :)

Laura
09-10-2003, 11:45 PM
Jester seems to have summed it up pretty well.
Just one thing, though
If you do get stuck with commercial charges, at least they should be tax deductible as part of a motel business...so mightn't make much difference long-term?
But that's one for the accountants....

amijinx
10-10-2003, 12:14 AM
Thanks all for the input. I guess ur right. Will get in touch with the ISPs. TQ.

Pheonix
10-10-2003, 08:25 AM
Also beware that the cheaper option of Jetstart IS NOT permitted for business, the exception being a home business. I mean whats the difference?

Billy T
10-10-2003, 04:04 PM
Simple answer amijinx:

A Motel is a business, ergo business line charges apply.

Re Nomad's comment about lines, ADSL is dedicated to the user's line and is not accessible anywhere else, except from another ADSL enabled line.

There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

nomad
10-10-2003, 04:27 PM
I was thinkin about dialup :D

falvrez
10-10-2003, 06:26 PM
the telecom slant on motels is that all lines are business lines (and associated higher costs) but the moteliers are allowed a seperate line in their own accomodation for "personal calls". Not sure if this applies in any way to your query, but hey I found it interesting at the time.