PDA

View Full Version : System Tray icons

MrBeef
09-10-2003, 09:54 PM
is it possible to find a picture file or whatever so that you can change the icon the appears in the system tray - or is this built into the programme itself.

ilikelinux
10-10-2003, 06:43 AM
Give a little more information, do you mean the start button or a program that is running in the background like zonealarm?

agent
10-10-2003, 07:03 AM
Try ResHack (http://anton.concord.ru/ftp/reshack/) (short for Resource Hacker, but it's not really a hacker).

Essentially what you do, is close the program running, open it in ResHack, and you can choose to overwrite an icon, cursor, bitmap etc, with your own, or export the ones in the executable.

However, you'll also need an icon editor like Microangelo.

MrBeef
10-10-2003, 03:08 PM
im thinking more along the lines of editing the kazaa lite icon that appears in the sys tray on win98

thanks agent ill try that

MrBeef
10-10-2003, 03:19 PM
okay i downloaded resouce hacker - but when i try open kazaa lite in it it says no resource section can be found

agent
10-10-2003, 04:24 PM
For Kazaa Lite K++, you will want to open KazaaLite.kpp, as that is actually the program.

I'm not sure about Kazaa Lite, but the same thing may go for that.

Don't forget that some applications store resourced in DLL files, and there should be a couple of .dll files in the folder where Kazaa Lite is installed, so you could also try checking those.

agent
10-10-2003, 05:41 PM
I've done some investigating myself, and the icons for Kazaa Lite K++ are stored in kpp.dll - if you use ResHack to expand the Icon Group, and then expand the first item in there, you'll see the icons for the system tray.

I presume that what you want to do is change the icon, because in Windows 9x, the icon is different to 2000/XP.

cyberchuck
10-10-2003, 09:09 PM
You can change the system tray icon for Kazaa Lite K++ from within the program anyway. Can't remember how to as I'm not on a Windows machine at the moment, however it's one of the 2 options in the tools menu, and it's not the standard Kazaa one (as helpful as that is).

agent
10-10-2003, 09:34 PM
Yes, you can, but if you then only leave it on the default icon it changes to, it's only marginally better than the default one used under Windows 9x. The icon used in 2000/XP is much nicer, but for some reason it isn't used.