PDA

View Full Version : how long should boot / start up take till log in screen appears?

beetle
09-10-2003, 04:58 PM
i have a feeling i have seen this question before .....

but approx how long would a good not sick computer take to turn on button to boot/ load/ start etc till welcome log in screen take.....

minutes? seconds?
we are talking win XP home here

beetle

agent
09-10-2003, 05:01 PM
Depends on your system specifications, really.

But I use Windows XP Pro, with an 800MHz CPU and 256MB of RAM. It takes about 45 seconds to boot to the login screen.

Freshly installed it can boot in about 30 seconds.

beetle
09-10-2003, 05:13 PM
well so whats wrong with mine then?

about 4mins?

256 ram 40 gb?

and dunno no more....
newly reformated.....
:D

beetle

Jen C
09-10-2003, 05:16 PM
I just timed my XP boot up from being completely powered off up to the login screen which took 27 secs, then after entering my password and hitting enter it took another 20 secs until the desktop was fully loaded and the hard drive activity light went out.

This was using XP Home, on a 2.4 GHz P4 processor with 512 MB of RAM (PC2700) and a well-seasoned installation.

beetle
09-10-2003, 05:21 PM
i feel it was faster when it was sick, the puter that is.....what is making it so slow?

going to check what happens on processors running at startup will let you know if i find anything beetle will not understand like.

beetle

metla
09-10-2003, 05:22 PM
4 minutes?

has it been doing this from the point it was retuned to you or only since you started loading more programs onto it?

As to an answer,One would have to be there in person to witness the boot-up/software enviorment to give a proper diagnoses.

Jen C
09-10-2003, 05:26 PM
Have you fully loaded all your software again?

You might want to have a look in Start > Run. Type in msconfig and then click on the Startup Tab (don't touch any other Tab). Make a list of what has ticks beside it and report back here with it - we can advise what can be safely disabled which can speed up the boot up process a bit.

However, 4 minutes is a bit excessive. I would give the Tech a call who did your reformat and ask they what they thought of the 4 minute bootup time.

beetle
09-10-2003, 05:46 PM
yeah well it was slow when first got it back but was not really taking much notice just stoked it was back i guess, but today it seemed excessively slow.....

and only added msn, yahoo messenger, avg, and mailwasher, as far as i am aware.
it has works already on it, and a few icons on the desk top im not sure about and have not been able to catch up with my pc man.....

will have a look jen c

beetle

PoWa
09-10-2003, 05:57 PM
I would give Bootvis a go beetle if you feel up to it :)

I can boot to the login screen in under 30secs, then just 10secs to get fully operational after that (after antivirus/firewall/mounting images etc).

I would say the boot times are mostly affected by the speed of your hard drive. Now see I have a ATA100 7200rpm with 8mb cache drive, which is pretty quick. I don't know what you have there, what are the specs of the computer beetle ;)

Billy T
09-10-2003, 06:00 PM
Hi beetle

You certainly do have to waste a lot of time with your computers!

If you have an on-board network card and you don't actually have a network, use device manager (or the XP equivalent) to disable it. A very long but otherwise normal boot is very often caused by the computer searching for the non-existent network.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

agent
09-10-2003, 06:02 PM
Another tab you can take a loook at in msconfig is the Services tab.

If you want to dabble in changing which services run and which don't (there are some which you can safely disable), either do some research or give a yell.

agent
09-10-2003, 06:06 PM
Or you could manually specify the network settings, but that doesn't do much if a network doesn't exist either, it just means Windows doesn't have to bother with assigning itself an IP (or trying to search for a server to do so).

Jen C
09-10-2003, 06:07 PM
> Another tab you can take a loook at in msconfig is
> the Services tab.

No - bad idea :O - sorry :)

In XP, the correct way of stopping services without potentially trashing your system is to use the Services found under Admin Tools. I don't think Beetle needs to go there yet.

beetle
09-10-2003, 06:09 PM
BT waste of time? lost me

ok list of things in start up tab

sistray
khooker
wkfud
wkssb
wkdetect
nerocheck
incd
soundman
e_s101c2
AVG
micro workscalender
reboot
winzip

and im not searching for a prob that not here, just its showing same signs as before, works pulling errors and closing on me mid homework....
and this slow boot again....

ho hum pc man is calling in to do a hardware scan tomorow....... :(

but he said im still under warranty with manz?
and they are his suplier....

:_| :_|

beetle

Jen C
09-10-2003, 06:29 PM
>sistray
khooker - remove tick
wkfud - remove tick
wkssb - remove tick
wkdetect - remove tick
>nerocheck
incd - remove tick
soundman - remove tick
>e_s101c2 - this is for your epson printer (leave for the time being)
>AVG
micro workscalender - if you don't use Works Calender reminder - remove tick
>reboot - what is this???
winzip - remove tick

OK, you can remove the ticks from the programs above with the "remove tick" :D. Then click Apply and OK. Reboot the PC and put a tick beside "don't show this message again ..." on the "You are using Selective startup for Troubleshooting" dialog box you will be presented with during bootup.

You can still load these program from the Start Menu if and when you require them, they do not need to be running all the time in the background.

This is the site I used to check which startup programs are necessary and those that are not: Pacs-Portal (http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full.htm)

> and im not searching for a prob that not here, just
> its showing same signs as before, works pulling
> errors and closing on me mid homework....
> and this slow boot again....

Oh, dear. That doesn't sound good.

im just fine
09-10-2003, 06:39 PM
this will make it faster?

or will that mean the underlying prob may be shown? if it doesnt make it faster? should i retick them or not?

full up with info load today with heavy lectures and now this......again when i thought it was home and hosed..... all good....

who ever said computers make life easier is talking a load of crap in my thinking, this past year of having a new puter has been hell.......

thanxs all,
these comments not intended or aimed at anyone or for anyone.

:(

beetle

agent
09-10-2003, 06:39 PM
No, but I never said you configure the services under the Services tab of msconfig :D

I prefer to use Computer Management, because that does the whole lot of Administrative Tools in one area.

Might as well delve right in though, so here follows a list of services most users can disable (courtesy of APC):

Alerter (receives administrator alerts)
Automatic Updates (use Windows Update manually, it's better :D)
Background Intelligent Transfer Service (used by Windows Update)
ClipBook (allows transfer of clipboard info betweeen computers)
Distributed Link Tracking Client (ensures links to NTFS files on your machine or LAN remain valid)
Error Reporting Service (automatic reporting of crashes to Microsoft - like you'd want to do that)
Fast User Switching Compatibility (allows different users to quickly log in and out of the same PC)
Indexing Service (for local text content, for quick searching)
Messenger (sends network broadcast messages, and also is the reason you might get popup ads on your desktop)
MS Software Shadow Copy Provider (works with the Volume Shadow Copy Service)
Volume Shadow Copy Service (supports network-based backup volumes)
NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing
Network DDE/Network DDE DSDM (Network Dynamic Data Exchange, used in applications like Remote ClipBook)
Remote Desktop Help Session Manager (controls Remote Assistance)
Routing and Remote Access (for VPN connections and inbound network links)
Smart Card/Smart Card Helper
SSDP Discovery Service/Universal Plug and Play Device Host
Upload Manager (mainly for file transfers not managed by the user)
Themes (turn off the eye candy and you can turn this of too)
Web Client (for creating and editing files on the internet)
Wireless Zero Configuration (don't have wireless? Don't need this)

Hope someone benefits from that list.

beetle
09-10-2003, 06:45 PM
LOL swap people now huh......

learner driver here HWMO was logged in....

beetle

Jen C
09-10-2003, 06:48 PM
Beetle also known as "im just fine" user - are you having an identity crisis now? :D

> this will make it faster?
>or will that mean the underlying prob may be shown? if it doesnt make it faster? should i retick them or not?

Removing these programs from startup will speed up the bootup process a little bit, and reduce the load on the PC by having unnecessary programs running in the background. You don't have to disable them if you don't want to. It certainly will not fix the 4 minute bootup or the other problems you are having.

agent
09-10-2003, 06:50 PM
No, the four minute bootup has to be caused by something more extreme than a lack of resources.

beetle
09-10-2003, 06:51 PM
yep one of those days dont let anybody near the machine again....

identity crisis it is i feel...

b

beetle
09-10-2003, 07:05 PM
jen cant do this just now going to have a break and maybe get back to it later, and takes some panadol,

brains awash and cant think clearly,
i may check back later or just go to bed......

thanxs for the help,

beetle

Billy T
09-10-2003, 08:04 PM
If this is the computer that beetle just got back from a full reformat & reinstall etc, why are people suggesting that she go ferreting around in the bowels of the machine for the reasons for a slowish boot.

Surely beetle needs to be led through the easy and more likely options first. I don't have XP, but after a full reformat & reinstallation of OS & programs I'd put my money on something stupidly simple like the network card or some other round-the-houses search that the computer is trying to do. I can't see anything in a normal boot load that would delay it that long.

How about everybody draws a deep breath and tries to KISS this problem to death, remember beetle has a lot of conflicting obligations at the moment and complex instructions just make things worse.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

beetle
09-10-2003, 08:31 PM
thanxs BT

im not looking at anything till tomorow or even saturday, till my brain gets past this lecture, brain fry mode, all sugeestions appreciated but i am not in a appropriate mode of thought to do mucha bout at moment.
did not think when i put this post up i would stir such a can of worms, but then i must remember i always get people worked up, especially when it comes to my way of explaining or lack of it it seems....

thanxs, ill keep you posted...

beetle

agent
09-10-2003, 11:27 PM
"Kick the NIC"...

I'm sure someone else said it, so open Device Manager (right click on My Computer, select Manage, and in Computer Management, go to the Device Manager section).

If there is a Network adapters section, expand it. Right click on anything similar to "[brand name/model number] Ethernet Adapter" and select Disable.

If your boot time doesn't speed up then it has to be something a bit more complex, I guess.

JJJJJ
10-10-2003, 04:50 AM
Four minutes is just ridiculous. It is more than just unnecessary things loading. I am wondering if you have more than one O/S on your hard drive. Did you have an earlier version of Windows or even Linux on before? Did you just delete them? It seems XP is not sure what to load.
I would suggest a full format and then re-install XP.
As a point of interest , It takes thirty-five seconds from the time I hit the start button until I am fully loaded. Ant that includes A/V and a system cooling program. And I have done nothing to even try and speed up the start. I might add I do not use log ins or passwords.
Jack

beetle
10-10-2003, 07:15 AM
ok this morning it starts a lot faster about 60 seconds or so.
and went straight to the windows xp screen not like the blank bllack screens yesterday.

abd JJJJ its just come back from being formated and all progs reinstalled (so obviuosly thats not gonna work again then as it did nt work first time.... :p)

and who said sleep makes things look better in the morn is wrong to.....

LOL

i really am feeling i should never have entered the puter ever, its adictive but depressing when so many things go wrong....

beetle

Billy T
10-10-2003, 02:41 PM
It pays to read the thread before you post Jack. In the latter stages of this saga we were seeking to minimise confusion, not add to it.:O

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

beetle
10-10-2003, 05:52 PM
ok tonight it started so fast......

but at lunch time it was slow.....

im really lost as to why it does this, and puter man was unable to visit so no furthor ahead with that one...

it was doing same thing before it went for the repair which i did then the reformat which a techie did....... so it must be a problem that doesnt change when reformated right?
so that means hardware?

sorry if ive confused any one as im confused also......

and its me this time not him...... LOL :D :p

beetle

Jen C
10-10-2003, 06:27 PM
Beetle, did you follow-up the suggestion by both Billy and Agent to check for the on-board lan device (or NIC) being active? Agent posted how to go and do this in XP. Knowing whether you have done this or not will help with ruling out that interferring with your bootup issue.

Instructions again:

Go to Control Panel > System. Click on the Hardware Tab and then the Device Manager button. Look for the item called Network adapters, click on the + to expand it (if present). Is there an device listed there? - it might include the words 10/100, Lan, ethernet adapter etc. If there is, right-click on it and select "disable".

Let us know when you have looked at this :)

beetle
10-10-2003, 06:40 PM
nuh i forgot and brain is not remembering anything today....

cant find anything that has 10/100 or ethernet....

what sub drop down list bit will it be in? or under after the network thingie?

Processorss? system devices? etc?

beetle

Jen C
10-10-2003, 06:50 PM
I have done a screenshot of my Hardware device manager, which list my Network adapter - the actual device name (highlighted in grey) will be different than yours (if you indeed have one).

Screenshot (http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/uploaded/device_manager.jpg)

If you don't have the Network adapters listed at all, then you don't have a NIC card or onboard lan, so we can rule this problem out.

beetle
10-10-2003, 06:56 PM
ok well appears not to have one......

i was looking in the right place, just not sure if it was in main name or drop down part.....

beetle

stu140103
10-10-2003, 08:06 PM
> ok well appears not to have one......
>
>
> i was looking in the right place, just not sure if it
> was in main name or drop down part.....

The details are in the drop down part like in Jen C screen shot, but if you are not too sure, do a search shot & post it up on here & we can try tell you :)

stu140103
10-10-2003, 08:11 PM
Just a thought beetle: Do you have SP1 installed or the speed up patch (this one below**) installed again????

> From MS support site:
>
> May 28, 2003: Microsoft released an updated patch for
> Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1). This revised patch
> corrects the performance issues that some customers
> experienced with the original Windows XP Service Pack
> 1 patch. For additional information, click the
> following article number to view the article in the
> Microsoft Knowledge Base:
>
> 819634 (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kbEN-US;819634) You May Experience Performance Issues After You Install the 811493

> The fix for this is included in the
> 811493 patch (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kbEN-US;811493)

> NOTE: This is a revided version of the 811493 patch
> that MS re-released to fix the slow down problem.

agent
10-10-2003, 08:45 PM
Did you try one of the guides in Windows Help (Windows key + H is the shortcut)?

Sometimes I wonder if people skip right over resources sitting under their nose and go straight for third-party resources :D

I know I've done the same, but a search in Windows Help for "boot" might find a relevant article and perhaps a step through guideline for resolving the problem.

beetle
10-10-2003, 08:56 PM
lost me a bit, but will have another look.

beetle

metla
10-10-2003, 08:58 PM
Beetle,if the computer performs fine apart from the extended boot up then i suggest you stop stressing about it and enjoy your computer for what it does do.

beetle
10-10-2003, 09:20 PM
so why does IE close on me or works close on me when im using them?

im not looking for probs, they are already doing this with out me help or me looking for them.

beetle

agent
10-10-2003, 09:40 PM
There might be a conflict on your computer... come to think of it, I know there is a utility that comes with Windows that allows you to see conflicts, but I actually can't think of it at the moment.

metla
10-10-2003, 09:44 PM
> so why does IE close on me or works close on me when
> im using them?
>

Oh,sorry,didnt realise that sort of thing was happening.

beetle
10-10-2003, 09:45 PM
when you remeber let me know and maybe ill get totally lost using it and give up all ideas altogether, and just go straight for the hammer...:p

and the conflict is i dont know enough but also may know just a little too much at other times..

no such feeling of a geek round here, just one tired weary beetle who cant fix the stupid b##### machine again....

beetle

metla
10-10-2003, 09:46 PM
And i sincerly hope you dont end up having to pay a large bill to someone who didnt fix your computer.

beetle
10-10-2003, 09:50 PM
yeah well im not feeling overly confident about anything or anyone at present, and shoulda just done the bad thing and said it was stuffed and got a new one ..... maybe..... or not....dont know, trying not to feel animosity against this puter but it doesnt give me any warm fuzzy's at moment........

and i got piles of homework to do before we finish in late Nov, and cant afford to loose any more........

beetle

Billy T
11-10-2003, 09:56 AM
Okay beetle

Time to call it quits and go back the the person you paid to fix it. Provided you have not carried out various changes or loaded spurious programs since you got it back it is their responsibility to fix the slow boot and program closures.

If you paid to get your computer restored to health then you are entitled to expect that outcome without further expenditure unless a hardware fault is present.

I trust that by now you are beginning to understand why myself and others advocate drive imaging. It is not about data backup at all, that is another use for imaging but is an entirely different issue.

Drive imaging is about preserving the operating system and program set up in its virgin and optimally configured state before anything can go wrong with it. Thereafter you can restore that situation in just a few minutes without sweat, tears, stress or payment.

It is well within your present levels of computer competencies to manage, in fact after watching your struggles over several months I am not only sure you can handle imaging, I am also certain that you would benefit greatly in both your personal and business computer activities.

We are here to help you anytime you decide to take the plunge, but I suggest you wait until after your studies/exams are over for the year so that you have a clear head and can focus on what you are doing.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

beetle
11-10-2003, 10:50 AM
thanxs BT but as the pc guy has not been back or i havent heard from him, i am stuck at moment plodding along here as i am, and yes i understand imaging is good but am not willing as you say to do that just yet as i want the system fixed and going how it should do,

and yes you will know doubt here from beetle when she goes into panic mode and thinks she's about to loose it all or kill it...........with that hammer i asked for for christmas.... :p

i think my biggest problem is lack of finacial status as i dont want to spend bulk on a machine that is going to be sick for one reason or another for the rest of its living life.

my faith in any one computer related has and is being tested daily and the only ones i feel have a solid understanding and base for what i am on about is the pf1 crew.
even though saying that my pc guy is ok just to slow for me at times..... i feel my brain is off and racing ahead of his and he gets lost ... :p but that is easy to do with beetle ramblings dont you agree?

and also i will look at some imaging progs or devices? does pc world have any on cd? but then i would actually have to start buying magazines...... :p :D which i currently dont.

it comes down to i love spending time on my puter, and of course have to with the amount of homework sifting through the fingers lately, but find i am also relutant to start this one up thinking what else is going to go wrong....

but the last twice i have started it, it has been around a minute startup times so thats something...... considering i have not altered any settings....

thanxs all
and if i have any progress, or lack of help from pc guy will keep you posted.

beetle