PDA

View Full Version : Password program to isolate certain programs

Neil McC
09-10-2003, 04:40 PM
like my work program and family tree,etc.Have had a look a quite a few now.Most seem to just encrypt files or folders.Had a look at Winlock and some others,but all I want is a simple one!Having Winlock on would be too tempting for certain nephews, etc, to play with,and I don't need that agro!!!Using Win ME.And I have had a look in the help ,but don't want to set up a password login system,just a protection against a visitor looking at certain things while the PC's running.
Any suggestions,please.

Jen C
09-10-2003, 05:47 PM
WinME doesn't have many inbuilt security options as it is aimed at the home user market. If you wanted to prevent nosey visitors looking at things when your back is turned, all you can do is make it harder for them to open up the program/documents. Remove shortcuts from your desktop and Start Program Menu. Put any obvious private folders in My Documents into another directory.

Or don't let the visitor near the computer unsupervised. If they really wanted to invade your privacy, the above suggestions would not stop them.

Neil McC
09-10-2003, 06:54 PM
Hi Jen.If it was just folders it's easy,as I've downloaded the free Kryptel program that only shows when I right click on selected and can select to encrypt etc.It doesn't show anywhere else.But to stop a program starting is what I hope to do.Like a collection I have and am wondering whether or not to put it on this PC.Would be easier to edit!!! Might have to wait for the next PC.
But I don't think the programs would like it if I went into them and encryted the files where the lists if items are?Thanks.

agent
09-10-2003, 07:02 PM
The best you could do is set a screensaver with a password. Be wary of thirdparty screensavers, however, because some of them can be closed using Control-Alt-Delete.

Personally, I use AES Crypter to encrypt sensitive files. It doesn't support shell extensions (right clicking on folders and choosing to encrypt, etc), and doesn't actually encrypt folders themselves, but the files within. It uses a drag-and-drop encrypting style, and you can set compression on the files, choose the encryption type and strength, and a few other settings such as three-pass wiping of the temporary files created.

Odin
10-10-2003, 03:11 PM
You can use PGP (Pretty Good Privacy) which costs about $50 US in it it has a wonderful encrypted disk program that allows you to create virtual harddrive that is encrypted with either 128 bit or 256 bit security of almost any size you want. Once created and open it acts just like a normal hard drive but when closed it is just a file and it is very difficult to crack if you use a good password containing symbols, upper and lower case characters and numbers. There is a freeware version of PGP but it does not contain the PGP Disk utility only the paid version has that.

Graham L
10-10-2003, 03:13 PM
There's no security in WindowsME. The passworded screensaver is about all you can do --- and that can be beaten by the power switch.

I suppose you could install some software on a CD ... and remove that except when it is needed ... but that could be "non-trivial". ;-)

Neil McC
10-10-2003, 04:55 PM
Thanks,everyone.I think I'll just remove my shortcuts and hunt for the program when I need it!! And start looking at a new PC. Have started with a new monitor,step by step! Trouble is,I'm a bit fussier about what I get now, than when we got this first machine from the PC Co.
:D

parry
10-10-2003, 06:08 PM
Hi Neil, presuming you are a subscriber to NZ PC World, on the Dec2002/Jan2003 disc there is a program called Steganos Security Suite 3. This has a virtual drive that is password protected. Should meet your price requirements - its FREE!!.

cheers
Parry

Neil McC
11-10-2003, 08:34 AM
Not sure how this "virtual drive" thing works,parry.But will look into it,if I can find the password(in my brain). Thanks.
:-(

Blue Druid
11-10-2003, 09:41 AM
I use the Steganos 3 from the PCW CD and have found it to be excellent. As well as the hidden encrypted drive (into which you can put files, folders or applications) it has a password manager, computer lock, and a trace destroyer, file shredder, file masking, etc. that in my opinion meet all the requirements of information security for the average user.

I also use ABI-Coder (also free to download) to encrypt back-up files on CD-R but Steganos is much more accessible for stuff on the HDD.

Graham L
11-10-2003, 02:56 PM
Try the download area of the NZ PC World site (just click on the PC World logo at the top of this page to get there). That file should be there.

parry
11-10-2003, 04:51 PM
Good tip about ABI-Coder, I might get that myself. Talk about heavy duty encryption using three very strong cryptography types, all over 168bit. If you forget your password on that baby its a goner :-)

MrBeef
11-10-2003, 08:55 PM
What about folder guard pro?

you can set it so that visibility within a folder is none and all acess to that folder is no lots of stuff im only new to folder guard

Blue Druid
11-10-2003, 09:03 PM
Steganos does not appear to be available for download from PCW but I can probably find a way to get you a copy if you are keen and unsuccessful elsewhere ;)

Neil McC
12-10-2003, 04:23 PM
Thanks,BD.I've found the cd,so will try it out later!