PDA

View Full Version : FTP sites

norrol
09-10-2003, 08:43 AM
I have a file from a supplier in USA that I need to download via their FPT site. What is the best way to do this and how is it done Thanks

Barnabas
09-10-2003, 09:54 AM
well, the easiest way to do it is to use an ftp program. I use Crystal FTP which you can get from here
http://www.casdk.com/downloads/?lref=www_frontpage
You then need a user name and password to access your suppliers ftp server unless they use anomynous ftp in which case you only need the login name which will be anomynous.
Once you have connected you can browse through the ftp server, find the file you want and then transfer it to your computer.
Simple :-)
If you need more help just sing out.

B.

Mizz_1Nique
09-10-2003, 09:56 AM
> I have a file from a supplier in USA that I need to
> download via their FPT site. What is the best way to
> do this and how is it done Thanks

Use a program like WS_FTP (free) or CuteFTP

You will need the IP address (or url) of the ftp site and a username and password if access is restricted.

Just put in the address to the ftp program and you can browse through the directories like you can on Windows Explorer.

You can also use IE as a ftp program but it kinda sucks....

Mizz_1Nique
09-10-2003, 09:57 AM
Oops, looks like we both did a reply at the same time... :-)

stu140103
09-10-2003, 10:01 AM
> Use a program like WS_FTP (free) or CuteFTP or SmartFTP

But there are helps out there for you to choose (do a search on here & you will see what I mean) or do a search on a download site.

Or you could use your download manager :) some like Flash Get has a FTP explorer

Let us know if you need any more help :)

norrol
09-10-2003, 10:01 AM
Thanks Mizz really appreciate your help Norrol

norrol
09-10-2003, 10:05 AM
Thanks Barnabas, really appreciate your help norrol

norrol
09-10-2003, 10:07 AM
Thanks Stu ,Appreciate the help you knowledged people give us who have so much to learn Regards norrol

Graham L
09-10-2003, 01:22 PM
You could try this: in your browser, enter ftp://the.name.of.the.ftp.site/. (or add the path/to/the/file.ext )You will probably see a directory. Right click on the file you need, and choose "Save As". Browse to a directory, and give it a name. (Or left click, and you will probably be asked whether you want to save it or open it in place).

Or if the company gives you a link to the file, just click on that. It's pretty easy. :D