PDA

View Full Version : cdrom works in dos but not in win98

Saul
08-10-2003, 10:34 PM
I had to replace my motherboard and after setting everything up according to the book found that the cdrom wouldn't work, and so I couldn't load drivers from the cd that came with the motherboard.

I used a win98 boot floppy and it when it starts in dos mode the cdrom is accessible.

How do I get the cdrom going in win98, do I have to do something to the config file? the config file is empty as is the autoexec file?

many thanks

tweak\'e
09-10-2003, 09:05 AM
best thing to do when doing motherboard changeovers is to format and reinstalled windows. win9x dosn't always play nice with motherboards swaps.

CYaBro
09-10-2003, 11:45 AM
Before reinstalling, in windows run regedit.

Then do a search for noide and see if it finds an entry for it. If it does, delete it then restart the PC and hopefully all will be sweet.

If it doesn't find it then follow tweak'es advice :)

pompeymike
10-10-2003, 12:06 AM
9 times out of ten if you can't get the cdrom working in win95/98 but it works in dos then it's a conflict on the secondary ide channel. What works for me nearly every time is to remove the ide controllers and let windows redetect them. You can't do this in device manager because you'll get an error message about 'multi-functioned devices'. What you have to do is go into the registry and open up:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Enum\MF\CHILD***

then delete every key under each child device, they all start with:

PCI&VEN_8086&DEV

or something similar, when you've done this reboot and windows will redetect them and your cdrom should work.

Graham L
10-10-2003, 02:54 PM
Except that this is not a "CD stops working" problem. It's a "change the motherboard, and try to use the OS without reinstalling" problem.

The cure, and way to avoid other problems which haven't come up yet, is to install the OS on the "new computer".