PDA

View Full Version : XP Pro - clicking shortcut icon tries to delete it

tbacon_nz
08-10-2003, 08:08 PM
I didn't get a bite when I posted this a couple of days ago - so I'm trying again...

I have a friend with a new PC with XP Pro installed. After logon, if he double-clicks a desktop icon (any icon, I think), the application starts (eventually), but he also gets the dialog "deleting the icon does not delete the application" etc. Clicking the cancel button has no effect! The dialog box stays active until the button has been clicked many times, then it goes away. After that, double-clicking show normal behaviour. Clicking the delete button deletes the shortcut, but the dialog stays active as above.

We've tried uninstalling/reinstalling the mouse (Logitech wheelmouse) and also using a different mouse, so I don't think it is that.

Weird, eh?

Any ideas?

Pheonix
08-10-2003, 10:10 PM
Yep , thats weird. :)
Normal approach would be to
1/ Scandisk
2/ Download, update and run Adaware and Spybot
3/ Update video drivers
4/ Change to another mouse to eliminate it from the equation
5/ Use msconfig to stop all startup programs, to eliminate these
Then various other programs that are in my bag of tricks.
Be interesting to see if any of the above cure it. Otherwise, there are others much wiser than me and whom may have struck it before.

Jen C
08-10-2003, 10:11 PM
I read you post a few days ago when you first posted it, and it is certainly an unusual problem.

It sounds like there are some settings a bit messed up in the background. If the applications are also very slow to start, then that is also not normal for a new PC. If you don't get any bites for this problem, I would return the PC under the warranty and get them to fix it.

yeah
08-10-2003, 10:15 PM
Just reinstall Windows, what's the big deal.

Cheers

tbacon_nz
09-10-2003, 07:39 AM
Thanks for the suggestions - I'll pass them on. I rather thought a re-install was what it would come down to, but didn't want to do that if it was a known problem.

Cheers.

CYaBro
09-10-2003, 08:27 AM
Have you tried another keyboard?

Almost sounds like the Delete key is getting stuck down.