PDA

View Full Version : does making users take up memory?

Hiren
08-10-2003, 06:10 PM
yeah I run a windows XP computer and I want to free up some space and my computer has 3 users does users take up memory?

cyberchuck
08-10-2003, 06:42 PM
A user only takes memory when they have applications running. So, if you were to log in as yourself then effectively only your tasks are using the memory (with the exclusion of the system processes).
If you are looking to free HDD space then yes, you will regain some space with deleting the user, but how much you reclaim depends on the size of their profile, how many files they have, internet cookies, application data, etc... At the end of the day it would be a very minimalistic saving.

CyberChuck

PoWa
08-10-2003, 08:01 PM
One of the users on my computer is holding about 80mb of hard drive space, other users are similiar. So you might save about <200mb by getting rid of a few. Go into C:\Documents and Settings and right click on on of the user folders to see how much space it is taking up.

System restore will take up most of your hard drive space if it is enabled. Otherwise get rid of software you don't use anymore. Old files that you don't use much can be stored inside a zip file to save space.