PDA

View Full Version : Making websites

csinclair83
08-10-2003, 01:31 PM
Is it good to make websites with frontpage? as i wanna get more experience on building/fixing/updating websites and gotta make one to do all that...

and is it recommended for a website to have flash animinations? like as a homepage or as a total website...?

and "should" i be using html or the other html..is it xhtml?? or is frontpage totally ok as it formats html itself...

Cheerz

Kame
08-10-2003, 01:51 PM
It depends on what you are going to do really, FrontPage is good for starting out on but maintaining? That's a bit of a decider as it depends on how basic the site is, and whether FrontPage is suitable for it.

I don't recommend flash animations, due to the fact that some people don't have flash and don't want it. Flash is kinda slow if the whole page is made with it, and unless you have no other option of doing what you want then you'll have to settle for Flash but they have to have flash player installed. Dreamweaver would be better than FrontPage dealing with Flash.

HTML is the standard web language, XML/XHTML or SHTML have come up with other things to improve it, but keep to HTML as it's really the base to learn all other ones from.

mejobloggs
08-10-2003, 07:06 PM
XHTML is the latest version of HTML.

I personally think XHTML is easier than HTML, if used with CSS.

XHTML has stricter rules, and you have to close all tags, and not use capitals, and thats about the only differences really. I like it a lot better than HTML, probably because im a bit of a perfectionist, and like things neat and tidy (not my room though).

I find nothing wrong with FrontPage, and it is definately easy. If you are really motivated, you could make your website in frontpage, and then open it in notepad, and go over the code with whatever you do. Hairbruch, or toothpick or something like that.

If you want to learn, http://www.w3schools.com/ is a very good place.

Those first 3 HTML tutorials, i guess are what you could call 'essential'

Mizz_1Nique
08-10-2003, 08:03 PM
I recommend Dreamweaver over Frontpage... Frontpage writes some sloppy code which can be hard at times to decipher. Thats just my 5cents

stu140103
08-10-2003, 08:16 PM
> I recommend Dreamweaver over Frontpage... Frontpage
> writes some sloppy code which can be hard at times to
> decipher. Thats just my 5cents

I agree with Mizz_1Nique Microsoft FrontPage 2000 & below writes some sloppy code I am not too sure what XP & the new 2003 is like, I also hear that Microsoft FrontPage 20003 does a better job writes the HTML code.

-=JM=-
08-10-2003, 08:18 PM
I'd stick with a text editor like notepad, xemacs, vi, or any other plain text editor. Flash is good but please stay away from flash navigation and splashscreens.

csinclair83
08-10-2003, 08:21 PM
Ohh I see what ppl like and dont like here...
frontpage 2002 seems ok 2 me...but if theres ne better other wat u see is wat u get html programs then recommend ne 2 me..

also what does "ccs" mean..

stu140103
08-10-2003, 08:22 PM
>Flash is good but
> please stay away from flash navigation and
> splashscreens.

In my option I do not mind flash navigation, but that is just my option :)

My 2 cents

stu140103
08-10-2003, 08:23 PM
> also what does "ccs" mean..
Cascading Style Sheet

PoWa
08-10-2003, 09:09 PM
Macromedia Studio MX seems to be the way to go these days (includes dreamweaver,flash,fireworks, freehand). If you spend the time doing tutorials and reading books on it, then in no time at all you'll be a professional. Fireworks is pretty cool, its like when you hover over a picture or link, it can make the page show up another picture somewhere else or bring up some text. Of course a bit of design and artistic flair is required and you have to be creative.

Stuff like java is useful to know as well. Personally I wouldn't bother with any languages invented by MS for the web, c# I think it is? Is xhtml a MS thing?

I'm going to get into StudioMX after I've finished with photoshop7

-=JM=-
08-10-2003, 09:25 PM
Just another point in splashscreens, PLEASE have a "skip intro" link and make that separate from the flash file you're trying to skip.

mejobloggs
09-10-2003, 06:04 AM
Everyone recommends Dreamweaver and Studio MX!

If you already have Frontpage, what is the point on spendings $800 to $2000, to buy more stuff?

Unless you don't pay for it. mmmmmm.

Just dont do what I did. I bought Dreamweaver MX, and then they put out MX 2004 the next month. I was very annoyed.

XHTML is not a microsoft thing, it is the latest standard in HTML.

mark c
09-10-2003, 07:36 AM
I use and recommend this...

http://www.arachnoid.com/arachnophilia/

Got a free download, easy to use and gets you very used to using html.

metla
09-10-2003, 07:46 AM
Good old Frontpage...heh heh heh.

Now,i know very little about HTML myself but from time to time i have the need to edit my webpage,and to do so i use Frontpage,after the latest touch up i was contacted by my good buddy who coded my page for me and informed that my latest edit(added 4 words to the text on one page) had added 8 lines of code to the page and moved the cookie headers?...causing the page to flash up a bunch of code before it would load up.

Once again i was kindly asked to stop using Frontpage to alter the site.....

stu140103
09-10-2003, 09:07 AM
> Everyone recommends Dreamweaver and Studio MX!
>
> If you already have Frontpage, what is the point on
> spendings $800 to $2000, to buy more stuff?

Because Dreamweaver is better (hands down, in my option) then any version of Microsoft FrontPage…

Ok Dreamweaver takes a wee while longer to lure how to use, then Microsoft FrontPage but Dreamweaver is worth it in the long term!