PDA

View Full Version : Hiding my Ip address?

Azrael
08-10-2003, 02:21 PM
I'm after a free program thats going to afford me more privacy online and hide my IP address. Zonealarm is all good but what else is out there?

Rod ger
08-10-2003, 02:50 PM
Who from? if your IP address is hidden you cannot operate on the internet. Think of the mailman with a blank envelope as an metaphor. You could try a Proxy to add an additional step between you and the sites you visit. All the scanners with their nasties are still going to hit on your IP how ever much you "hide" it, a firewall just won't let on there is anyone home.

Kame
08-10-2003, 02:59 PM
Impossible to hide your IP, only way is to prevent people knowing it exists. Which is what ZoneAlarm does, so scanners will do the rounds now and again, but with a firewall in place it should stealth it so that it'll return back to the scanner that the address didn't exist e.g. same as not being on the internet/not allocated to someone.

ZoneAlarm will not prevent connections to servers (unless configured wrong), and the servers you connect to need your actual IP Address. You may or may not of heard about IP Spoofing which is disguising your IP and alternatively with the right timing you can intercept information from the server being sent back to the spoof ip. Most servers should be protected from this attack.

If you think people are out to get you then there's methods of making your connection harder to reach the right IP by sending it through multiple routers, you can also use anonymous proxies, www.megaproxy.com is a good one, but they limit the things you can do.

Explain more, why you want to hide your IP address, as I've heard many stories for reasons why people want to do it and they think their firewall isn't stopping it, but sometimes firewalls can't stop connections to servers that cause the problem. e.g. chatroom getting booted.

Azrael
08-10-2003, 03:22 PM
I think paranoia would probably be the main reason! :D

But, in truth, despite Ad-aware and Zonealarm I'm still finding the occaisional file I know got on my hard-drive from the net. A Google showed up SurfAnonymous 1.0 (http://www.newfreeware.com/utils/1551/) but you're suggesting a firewall is enough?

Graham L
08-10-2003, 03:42 PM
Well, the only way to have a computer safe from any outside nastiness is to unplug it from the Internet, remove the floppy drive, remove the power cord and put it in a securely locked room. :D

stu140103
08-10-2003, 03:48 PM
>but you're suggesting a firewall is enough?

If you want to test to see how good your firewall is go to Gibson Research Corporation (http://www.grc.com) then scroll down to ShieldsUP!( here is a direct link) (https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2) this should tell you how good your firewall is.

PS: I am on a ADSL connection (JetStream Starters & we are using the win XP firewall & zone alarms firewall & all our ports are Stealth

stu140103
08-10-2003, 03:54 PM
>but you're suggesting a firewall is enough?

Nope, you need a Anti-Virus Program & firewall + ad-aware + spybot search & destory + a popup stopper.

do a search on here to find good popup stoppers &/or where to download the above Program's & then you need to use Common sense when surfing the net.

Azrael
08-10-2003, 03:56 PM
> PS: I am on a ADSL connection (JetStream Starters &
> we are using the win XP firewall & zone alarms
> firewall & all our ports are Stealth

Would one's ports be set to "stealth" by default, or is this something I need to set?

Cheers for the links/advice.

stu140103
08-10-2003, 04:05 PM
> > PS: I am on a ADSL connection (JetStream Starters
> &
> > we are using the win XP firewall & zone alarms
> > firewall & all our ports are Stealth
>
> Would one's ports be set to "stealth" by default, or
> is this something I need to set?

I think you Do Not need to set it, the firewall should do it,
but one thing I meant to say is if you ports are either "stealth" or "closed" that is a good thing :)

agent
08-10-2003, 04:26 PM
Don't forget that if a firewall simply absorbs every blocked connection to a port, you can be spotted just as easily as if you were broadcasting on that port. Why? Because if no packet is sent back telling a person the port or IP doesn't exist, it will appear is a "blackhole" of sorts.

PoWa
08-10-2003, 06:11 PM
I think GhostSurf pro might be what you are after. It routes your traffic through anonymous hubs, so if you visit a website they can't find your computer's IP address, because all the info is coming from the proxy.

Adware/spybot has nothing to do with hiding an IP address!!! Firewall won't do it either - that just protects your computer. If you really want to be anonymous then anon proxy is the way to go.

godfather
08-10-2003, 06:51 PM
> PS: I am on a ADSL connection (JetStream Starters &
> we are using the win XP firewall & zone alarms
> firewall & all our ports are Stealth

If your ADSL router uses NAT (Network Address Translation) then a software firewall will not add any security for incoming traffic.
Without any software firewall, all my ports are reported as stealth now.

Adding a software firewall (other than the XP built in one) will only warn of outgoing traffic.
It will get bored waiting to report incoming traffic if NAT is employed. I enable a software firewall every few weeks, just as a check.
Nothing that I am concerned about has been seen yet.

If you want a good pop-up stopper, try the Google one. Seems quite well behaved.

Greg S
09-10-2003, 01:37 AM
Actually you can hide it, via a third party proxy. Anoymizer is probably the best, but there are several ad-sponsored free ones:

http://www.guardster.com/ for example.

aNtzy
09-10-2003, 01:54 AM
> Actually you can hide it, via a third party proxy.
> Anoymizer is probably the best, but there are
> several ad-sponsored free ones:
>
> http://www.guardster.com/ for example.

Using 3rd party proxies reduces surfing to a crawl.

kiwibeat
09-10-2003, 04:33 AM
Tried it guardme on a nz site seemed ok with speed

PoWa
09-10-2003, 08:33 AM
Mmmmm Guardster aint too bad at all! I can log in and post anonymously on pressf1 (if I used a dif user name) not even Bruce could find me :p

Kame
09-10-2003, 02:36 PM
Paranoia is the problem, but you should look at it more as precaution, unless you've got something to hide why do you need to worry? I'm not saying you shouldn't bother with securing your system though, I'm just thinking do you really need to unplug yourself from the net to know you are definitely secured from online attacks? Do you really have to go to extreme measures? If you had sensitive material on your computer, then I suggest don't have it on the internet. Firewalls should ease the paranoia but if someone wants to get in, he'd do all that is possible and firewalls will fail sometimes.

You talk about a file that got onto your hard drive from the net, I can think of a few reasons, an incorrect firewall setup, exploited software bugs the list is long. But it doesn't mean that making yourself anonymous is going to stop it, if your system is allowing whatever it is to give you the file, the proxy isn't going to refuse it, your system has to refuse it but it's not.

I was suggesting a firewall is sufficient enough to hide your IP, there's a difference, whatever site you visit, your IP is needed and no matter what, the firewall is not going to stop it allowing you internet activity unless configured wrongly. Anonymous proxies use their IP and then relay the information back to you, because servers are only responding to the IP they are getting, they don't backtrace that far, you are anonymous because it's not your IP you're relaying from, but to bring your paranoia levels up, your IP still exists and it exists to the anonymous proxy you are using or else you wouldn't be getting the information back, so I would believe someone is capable of getting your IP from an anonymous proxy if determined.

dotcommander
09-10-2003, 04:37 PM
STU, are you using both firewalls at the same time, cos some say they both cancel each other out?????

Azrael
09-10-2003, 04:48 PM
Cheers for the advice.

It looks like I'll settle for having 'firewall' ticked on under XP and Zonealarm running.

Next question: If you know someone's IP, say they visit your website, what websites/tools are out there that let you find out more information about that user based on their IP address?

(No, I'm not DangerousAzrael internet h@x0r, just keen to learn/understand internet security I guess)

stu140103
09-10-2003, 04:50 PM
> STU, are you using both firewalls at the same time,

Yep, you are correct there :)

> cos some say they both cancel each other out?????

That does not happen on dads.... (Which is the gateway computer to the Internet, which has both the firewalls on it....)

I think it depends on how they are set-up & the people who make then (the firewalls) & how your computer is set-up etc...

stu140103
09-10-2003, 04:57 PM
> Next question: If you know someone's IP, say they
> visit your website, what websites/tools are out there
> that let you find out more information about that
> user based on their IP address?

(If I read your post correctly) There are two things you could do 1. Ping that IP address & you can find out a bit there or 2. Go to http://www.geektools.com/whois.php or something like that and do a whois on it

> (No, I'm not DangerousAzrael internet h@x0r, just
> keen to learn/understand internet security I guess)

:D

Hope this helps

stu140103
09-10-2003, 05:02 PM
> > Next question: If you know someone's IP, say they
> > visit your website, what websites/tools are out
> there
> > that let you find out more information about that
> > user based on their IP address?

But as we have said on this thread that your IP address change every time you connect to the internet, they say having ADSL or DSL etc... Increases your risk that you ** might ** get hacked or DoS etc...

agent
09-10-2003, 05:04 PM
NetScanTools is a good utility. It has a lot of functions as well, which might scare some users.

agent
09-10-2003, 05:06 PM
> they say having ADSL or DSL etc... Increases your risk that you
> ** might ** get hacked or DoS etc...

Only if you've got a static IP plan, which generally costs more because you can run a web server or similar on it.

stu140103
09-10-2003, 05:08 PM
> (No, I'm not DangerousAzrael internet h@x0r, just
> keen to learn/understand internet security I guess)

If you want learn/understand more about internet security etc... Then have a look at Gibson Research Corporation (http://www.grc.com)