PDA

View Full Version : Working with Autorun.inf

Nick Baker
07-10-2003, 10:54 PM
I want a CD to open a powerpoint presentation on insertion which contains links to other files on the same CD. With

[Autorun]
open=Ppview32.exe Index.ppt

I can get the PPT to open automatically but the links in the PPT do not find the files. If the CD has been opened with explorer then the index ppt run all the links work fine. Somehow the PC is not aware of the other files on the CD when it just autoruns?

What do I need to add to my autorun.inf to make it work?

Thanks
Nick

Chilling_Silently
07-10-2003, 11:10 PM
Hi Nick,
Welcome to PressF1.

What are these other Files that you are trying to access, How have you set it to access them, and where are they on the CD in relation to the powerpoint presentation file? (Same dir? In a sub-folder?)

Chill.

Nick Baker
08-10-2003, 11:47 AM
They are in the same directory and are linked via hyperlinks in the PPT. Some are other PPT's and others are PDF's.

Once the disk has been viewed by NT explorer and the index PPT started it all works well it is only afer the autorun that the links fail!

Nick

Graham L
08-10-2003, 01:45 PM
You've probably got path problems.

A ".\" before each filename in the links would force the system to look for them in the directory from which they are being called (where the index.ppt is).

I think. :D

Kame
08-10-2003, 02:22 PM
Try

[Autorun]
open=Ppview32.exe &CDREPLACEIndex.ppt

Sorry it's been a while and I can't recall if you need & or not but CDREPLACE uses the Root Drive it's being called at.

Research on running Autorun.inf without a CD first, there's many tips on doing this so you don't waste CDs

Kame
08-10-2003, 02:33 PM
I think a better way would be to have autorun.inf on the root of the CD, ppview on the root and then index.ppt in a folder of it's own. e.g. powerpoint.

Then all you do is

[Autorun]

open=ppview.exe /powerpoint/index.ppt

Another thing maybe case sensitivity? Anyway stick with everything being lowercase.

Kame
08-10-2003, 02:36 PM
http://www.out2teach.com/articles/article.php?article_id=34

This maybe of some use.