PDA

View Full Version : Computer not recognising my second CD player

baycam
07-10-2003, 08:35 PM
Hi there!

I have a new computer (I am pretty much a comp novice by the way) and have an LG CD 52X player - Drive E: - and also an LG CD writer Drive F: (imported from my old computer).

When I start the machine up and go to 'My Computer' I see both CD players as being recognised.

Then after performing some operations or viewing some digital photo's in 'My prictures' and try and search a photo CD in the CD Player (E:) that drive is is missing - and I can't find it. To get it back I have to re-start.

Also after having written some photos to a CDR disc, I can later view them in either CD. If I then write some more photos to the same CD in a later session, I can view them in the CD Writer(F:) but not in the CD player (E:).

Any suggestions? Pse As I said above I am pretty much a novice and need a 'press button B' approach!

Thanks!!

ilikelinux
08-10-2003, 08:04 AM
Have you installe dthe latest drivers?

godfather
08-10-2003, 09:22 AM
The drives have a jumper on the back that needs to be set to indicate if it is a Cable Select, a Master or a Slave on that IDE port.

If you have the wrong setting then odd things like this can occur. You must not have 2 Masters per port, or 2 Slaves per port. Each port must have 1 Master and 1 Slave, unless its using the special Cable Select ribbon cables, in which case they are set to CS.

Your HDD will probably be Master, IDE port 0
What IDE ports are the others on, and what are the settings?

If 2 drives share a ribbon cable, they are on the same port.