PDA

View Full Version : OT: remember the "big" power cut in the US?

agent
07-10-2003, 07:12 PM
Well, there is a quote that just goes to show how stupid some Americans are:
"It's pitch black and there's stars like you've never seen in Toronto in your life," said
Ellen-Ray Hennessy, 45, a Toronto actress. "It's fascinating and terrifying at the same time."
http://www.darksky.org/newsroom/aug14tdtlwo.html

Fascinating, yes. Terrifying, no. What is so terrifying about stars, or is she talking about the fact that you can see stars - I wouldn't be terrified about that either.

Silly Americans...

Jen C
07-10-2003, 07:22 PM
Don't want to break the news to you but ..... Toronto is in Canada, not America - so she is Canadian :D

WalOne
07-10-2003, 07:26 PM
All a matter of perspective, be it Canada, the US or Godzone. Just as we have kids in South Auckland who have never seen the sea, or a cow, or a sheep, so many millions of people living in major cities in the world have never seen the stars.

Be kind

agent
07-10-2003, 07:28 PM
Even if Canadians like to think of themselves as above citizens of the USA, they are still Americans, because they live on the continent of America (though yes, I failed to realise Toronto was not in the USA).

Which leaves the subject of this thread... although the power cut was apparently triggered in the USA... *fixes thread title just for the sake of it*

agent
07-10-2003, 07:34 PM
Oh come on, picking on the US is fun :D

There's that old saying, "only in America".

Budda
08-10-2003, 07:58 AM
just to rip this thread totally off topic, canadians arent like ameriacans at all. They have about 80% less crime (mainly less murders) and they dont interfere in every other countries business lol, just me 2c :)

Jester
08-10-2003, 09:20 AM
isn't there a saying along the lines that Canadians are just like American's, without the guns ...?

;)

J