PDA

View Full Version : Nortons Ghost

oldtoyboy
07-10-2003, 04:43 PM
1 How does this programme work,?
2 What does it do.?
3 I have this programme but cannot work out how to install it onto my PC. It has no install files only exe files.
I have tried to run an exe file and it wanted to add or delete or rewrite information on my harddrive

Odin
07-10-2003, 04:50 PM
Norton ghost when installed will create a boot disk on a floppy that you use to boot with. When you boot with it it will start the program Ghost in PC Dos mode you can then create an image of you harddrive to either a file or CD. You can then copy this image back onto your system should your os fail at some point. That you you can be back up and running at the same point you created the image within only ten minutes instead of 2 hours.

Is you copy in a folder or just on a CD. Have you checked you Start - Programs - Symantec - Norton Ghost to see if it is there. If it is then it has already been installed and you can run the create boot disk from there.

Biggles
07-10-2003, 04:53 PM
Sounds to me like you should leave it alone. Messing around with Ghost without knowledge of what it does (and I assume no manual) is a bad idea.

Jen C
07-10-2003, 05:02 PM
You can download a manual for Norton Ghost from here (http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/files/ghost/index.html) - just select your version from the dropdown list.

You can read a bit more about what Norton Ghost does from here (http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/) as well.

It does pay to read the manual first, because Ghost is a powerful tool which can cause damage if used unwisely.

yingxuan
08-10-2003, 02:15 PM
I use norton ghost.I found it quite helpful.IT just makes an image of your computer and compresses it and u can store it on anywhere even on a cdrw.
I had a problem with windows.IT kept crashing.Luckily i did an image the day before it had problems.What was today is now yesterday.

kiwibeat
08-10-2003, 03:10 PM
i use drive image myself on 98se easy use took me 5 mins without a book to work out and fast and reliable as well

yingxuan
09-10-2003, 12:45 PM
it takes me about 25 minutes to make an image of my computer.My computer is 200mhz lol.thats why.
But its well worth the wait