PDA

View Full Version : System freezes when downloading

WILLWILLWILLWILL
07-10-2003, 01:06 PM
I built a new system, lots of everything. Everything is great, but when on-line, downloading, sometimes the whole system locks up and I have to re-boot. I am using the latest version of Windows Explorer, 6.0 I think. My modem isn't the best money can buy, though. I'ts an old Diamond Max modem. Any sugestiopns? A new modem ? An older version of Microsoft Explorer? Maybe a diferent browser? ....And while on the subject, not to sound totaly iliterate, but-..my motherboard came with an Intel Pro 100 LAN connector. What is that? I just connected to the PCI modem I installed. What is an ethernet -100 thing ..??

Biggles
07-10-2003, 01:19 PM
The LAN connector is for networking the PC. Say if you had two PCs and wanted to connect them together, or connect them to a server.

Do you have the correct driver installed for the modem (i.e. vendor supplied), or is it just a genric driver that Windows installed? That might be a good place to start.

WILLWILLWILLWILL
09-10-2003, 11:35 AM
The Diamond supra-Max modem came with a disc. And thats the driver I used. I'll try to find an updated driver. The system lock-ups seem to happen when I start a downl-load and then try to move to another page. I have tried several down-load managers, Gator, Get-Right, Leech-get, Metaproducts Download express... Can you recomend a good one?

godfather
09-10-2003, 12:00 PM
I have tried several down-load managers, Gator,

Oh dear.
There may be some of the problems.

Spyware. Adware. Who-knows-what ware.

Download Adaware, and/or Spybot search and destroy.
Clean out the dross with these and your surfing experience may improve.

Fire-and-Ice
09-10-2003, 12:25 PM
> I have tried several down-load managers, Gator, Get-Right, Leech-get, Metaproducts Download express... Can you recomend a good one?

Yes, Flashget.

WILLWILLWILLWILL
21-10-2003, 11:49 AM
Flashget was just like Gator. It comes with some kind of advertising software or you can buy it without the adware for something like $29.95.

Fire-and-Ice
21-10-2003, 12:09 PM
If you install it as Shareware rather than Adware you will avoid the advertising. And I doubt it would be as bad as Gator.

Paying for it would be the right thing to do if you like it, but it doesn't stop working if you don't.

suethomo
21-10-2003, 04:19 PM
Never realised you were a computer geek!!!!