PDA

View Full Version : linux query

ravage13
07-10-2003, 01:23 AM
a friend of mine has knoppix 3.2 installed but cannot mount the floppy unless he is the root user. He has played round with the settings in /etc/fstab directory (or whatever the path name is, I'd have to get back to people on the exact details), but I'm hoping there are a few people out there who are well versed in linux who may be able to shed some light on the subject. (he would do this himself but he is not yet connected to the web)

thanks

ravage

Chilling_Silently
07-10-2003, 12:10 PM
Im sure that if you're in KDE, you can add a 'shortcut' to it on your desktop. By double-clicking on that, it should mount it as your regular user (Only IIRC, Knoppix is setup for single-clicks).

Kame
07-10-2003, 01:01 PM
Knoppix should automatically add all your drives to the desktop?

There's a root terminal in the menus somewhere too... or even better... open up terminal and

sudo passwd root ... or is it... sudo root passwd (Haven't bn on nix in months)

then type in a new passwd for root and then su root.

/etc/fstab would be correct location for altering it, but does it allow you to write to it?

Graham L
07-10-2003, 03:10 PM
Add the "user" option to the /etc/fstab entry. (The entry might look like /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,defaults,user) You'll need to be root to do edit the file. If you're using the live CD version, you'll need to do this every time you start it.

However, the fix is to use a "real use" distribution. :D That way, once something is fixed, it will stay fixed.

roben
07-10-2003, 03:24 PM
Does any one know where to get a DVD Driver for Red Hat we have a Sony DVD Writer and an HP DVD Writer.

Graham L
07-10-2003, 03:38 PM
Shouldn't need one. :D If your RH is later than about 7.2 it should know about DVDs. I don't know if there are many brands/models which don't work, but you can a google search with "Sony DVD writer linux" or "HP DVD writer". Have a look with dmesg or your GUI hardware manager. All you need are programmes to use the DVD. The various GUI frontends to cdrecord supplied with Mandrake 9.0 seem to be "DVD ready".

roben
07-10-2003, 03:44 PM
Thank for that Will look at that

ravage13
07-10-2003, 10:58 PM
> Knoppix should automatically add all your drives to
> the desktop?
>
> There's a root terminal in the menus somewhere too...
> or even better... open up terminal and
>
> sudo passwd root ... or is it... sudo root passwd
> (Haven't bn on nix in months)
>
> then type in a new passwd for root and then su root.
>
> /etc/fstab would be correct location for altering it,
> but does it allow you to write to it?

he can write to it as long as he uses su privaliges
has usual stuff like mnt, auto (can't remember the rest) but the only part of the line he is not sure of is umask 022 0 0

ravage13
07-10-2003, 11:01 PM
oops didn't read far enough to the next post
i'll suggest adding user to the line
what exactly is the umask bit for?

thanks
ravage

Chilling_Silently
07-10-2003, 11:03 PM
umask is the user's permissions for r/w/x etc.

Try umask=000 to be on the safe side (R/W for all)

ravage13
07-10-2003, 11:12 PM
will suggest that as well thanks

ravage