PDA

View Full Version : Very odd problem

nembathekid
06-10-2003, 10:20 PM
I'm running win xp home, on a hp pavillion 522a the way it came, 1.7Ghz celeron, 256 mbs of ram.
I have a very odd problem, and it is not really that bat but I would greatly appreciate it if someone could tell me why this is happening.

If I press ctrl+alt+up on my keyboard it switches to the blue screen of death, but straightaway after about half a second the computer reboots, and after about 2 minutes, I get "The system has recovered from a serious error"

Is this just some microsoft stupidity, or something else.

robsonde
06-10-2003, 10:27 PM
not a normal thing.....

might be a driver error.

its too late at night for me to think right....

when did this start happening?
has it been this way since new??
what did you change??

nembathekid
06-10-2003, 10:39 PM
The first time it happened was when I was playing with the new flash trial, and I was trying to move something to the front (ctrl+shift+up) and accidentally pressed ctrl+alt+up. As far as I know this has happened forever. It has been a year since I got this pc, so it has had a lot of changes. I don't think it is a driver problem, this was a showroom pc where everything was already set up and working when I got it, and I haven't added any new drivers. (sp1 doesn't have new drivers does it?)

godfather
06-10-2003, 10:41 PM
Stop the automatic restart, and you might see some more of the error process, and learn what may be causing it.

Start - Control Panel - (Performance and Maintenance in Category View) System - Advanced - Startup and Recovery - Settings - Untick "automatically Restart.

That should halt it on an error screen, copy everything down (correct spelling is essential) and post back with the error.

Its certainly not normal, Ctrl Alt Del should bring up Task Manager.

Right click in the taskbar in a clear area, and select Task Manager. See if thats the cause.

ilikelinux
07-10-2003, 06:45 AM
It could be the computer and the drivers for the mother board etc...

Graham L
07-10-2003, 03:45 PM
Patient: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this..."
Doctor: "Don't do that."

What is it, 110 keys on a keyboard? I estimate the number of three-key combinations as about 1.3 million. Some of them will be illegal inputs which cause a crash. :D

nembathekid
07-10-2003, 05:01 PM
> Patient: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this..."
> Doctor: "Don't do that."
>
> What is it, 110 keys on a keyboard? I estimate the
> number of three-key combinations as about 1.3
> million. Some of them will be illegal inputs which
> cause a crash. :D

You're right it doesn't really matter, but it would be interesting to see exactly why this is so. I think i'ts just it being a hp system.

agent
07-10-2003, 05:55 PM
On my computer (Windows XP Pro), Ctrl+Alt+Up does the same as Up. Ctrl+Alt+Down does the same as Down.

ilikelinux
07-10-2003, 07:51 PM
>On my computer (Windows XP Pro), Ctrl+Alt+Up does the same as Up. Ctrl+Alt+Down does the same as Down.

Same 4 me.

ilikelinux
28-11-2003, 07:43 PM
sorry, about bumping this up, but i had to,,

on linux the ctrl+alt+up/down doen't do any thing,

smart linux dumb windows.

Jen C
28-11-2003, 08:20 PM
> sorry, about bumping this up, but i had to,,
>
>
>
> on linux the ctrl+alt+up/down doen't do any thing,
>
> smart linux dumb windows.

Those comments do not help anyone and are rather pointless.

>>> sorry, about bumping this up, but i had to,,

Try and restrain yourself next time.

Megaman
28-11-2003, 08:52 PM
> Patient: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this..."
> Doctor: "Don't do that."

might be a good idea. but a random problem. are u sure its not a rouge program? i tried it in my xp home computer with 2 people logged on and no programs running, no worries. nothing happened. try turning off firewall, anitvirus etc... and then try it. if the computer is stable the use elimination to find the program. then try to find an alternitave program.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
28-11-2003, 09:59 PM
> Those comments do not help anyone and are rather
> pointless.
>
> Try and restrain yourself next time.

Why is this place full of wannabe moderators?

Chilling_Silently
28-11-2003, 10:13 PM
>
> > Those comments do not help anyone and are rather
> > pointless.
> >
> > Try and restrain yourself next time.
>
> Why is this place full of wannabe moderators?
>

Hey man, that comment from ilikelinux wasnt really neccesary.

Things like that start flame wars... I think Jen had a valid point there...!

Having said that, I know that I personally (And Jen does) use Linux and Doze mixed... ;-)

whiskeytangofoxtrot
28-11-2003, 10:20 PM
> Hey man, that comment from ilikelinux wasnt really
> neccesary.

That may be the case, however it's his opinion, he's free to post it...

Too many people around here in small cliques who like to try and run the place.

Chilling_Silently
28-11-2003, 10:27 PM
...And that was my opinion.

Nobody here tries to run the place, people simple earn more respect for being long-standing regular contributing members.

I aint dogging him, I've chatted with him off-forum and he's a good guy, just keeping the peace man ;-)

Elephant
28-11-2003, 11:12 PM
Hopefully by now the original poster has solved the problem. I hope.

The original post was early October.

ilikelinux
29-11-2003, 07:31 AM
> Hopefully by now the original poster has solved the problem. I hope.

He wasn't that concerned about it, but it might be an issue that he might want to ask hp,

p.s i didn't mean to offend any one in my recent posting, it's the end of school year coming up and i'm getting a bit silly.

mark.p
29-11-2003, 07:52 AM
It's most likely just one of those random "features"or "innovation" one gets with using a PCs these days. Or possibly something isn't quite right with the keyboard. [Conspiracy Theory] May even be keyboard logger running in the background thats throwing a wobbly[End of Conspiracy Theory}

ilikelinux
29-11-2003, 07:59 AM
it could also be a problem with doze, all the patches not downloaded .....
but also drivers may also be an issue if they haven't been updated since (god only knows when)