PDA

View Full Version : Red cross on Attachments

Pibs
06-10-2003, 07:50 PM
Could anybody please explain why I occasionally get a red cross on a Jpeg, is it that I don't have the software to open the file or has the picture not been sent?
Any help gratfully Ta.

robsonde
06-10-2003, 08:03 PM
it will be that the picture was not snet.

it is the default icon when the picture can not be found

Pibs
06-10-2003, 08:35 PM
Thanks Robsonde, I can now foget about looking for software.

Thomas
06-10-2003, 09:07 PM
it will be that the picture was not snet.

i>t is the default icon when the picture can not be found.

Well its was sent,are they incapable of finding a simple thing like a pic?

godfather
06-10-2003, 10:09 PM
> Well its was sent,are they incapable of finding a
> simple thing like a pic?

In many cases the document does not have the pictures embedded in it, just hyperlinks to the pictures.

These can get "lost" in some systems where the pictures are stored by default in temporary internet files, the files get cleaned out (some clean them out on every reboot).

Sometimes the pictures are sent as separate attachments with the main document. I receive some legislative material regularly this way. If you re-attach the document and not the GIF's that accompany it, you get the x's at the other end.

This is often unknown by the sender. They do not know how the page was coded or where the pictures are stored, its just a page with some nice pics on it.
Next time they open it, - o dear, what are the red x's?.

Pibs
06-10-2003, 10:16 PM
Thanks Godfather, I'm a bit lost now but I will ask them to send it as a picture not an attachment, to heck with the download time. Thank you for the explaination.

Susan B
07-10-2003, 09:40 AM
> I'm a bit lost now but I will ask them to send it as a picture not an attachment, to heck with the download time.

In Outlook Express, when a message is created one can either choose:

1. Insert > File Attachment and attach a graphic, or

2. Insert > Picture. This option will only be available if the message is composed as Rich Text (HTML) format. Using that method should ensure that the picture is "embedded" in the message, as long as the recipient does not have "Read all messages in plain text" disabled.

To avoid the red crosses in emails the first option is the safest one.

exLL
07-10-2003, 08:53 PM
> 2. Insert > Picture. This option will only be
> available if the message is composed as Rich Text
> (HTML) format. Using that method should ensure
> that the picture is "embedded" in the message, as
> long as the recipient does not have "Read all
> messages in plain text" disabled.

Susan, Should that be:.......... as long as the recipient does not have "Read all messages in plain text" enabled, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Cheers :)

Susan B
07-10-2003, 09:29 PM
Yes, you are quite right about that, exLL, thank you for pointing it out. :-)

You have very sharp eyes, I must say. :p :D

godfather
07-10-2003, 10:25 PM
There may be a further problem, in that Outlook 2003 has a setting that will (if set) force only hyperlinks to be sent, instead of the pictures provided the pictures were web-sourced.

With all the variables, and so few of them under the control of the end user, red "Xs" could be more common than we realise