PDA

View Full Version : Serial mouse not recognised in win98

Waimo
06-10-2003, 06:10 PM
Is there anyone who may have a simple solution to the error when sometimes loading win98 the system says there is no mouse attached, when there is a serial one attached, and says you can attach a ps2 one in which I cannot?

Peter H
06-10-2003, 07:34 PM
After many attempts at trying to solve that one, I gave up and bought a PS one.
Bye

beama
06-10-2003, 07:40 PM
You don't say directly that the mouse is ps2 so I'll presume that it is. It sounds very much like a broken connection either in the mouse wire or faulty connection between the ps2 plug and where it plugs into motherboard plug, try another mouse for a while see if the problem reoccurs. Also does this only happen on boot or do you also lose the mouse in windows i.e mouse cursor becomes unresponsive in windows and moving the mouse around along with attached wire rectifies the problem.
Other members of the forum may also have ideas.

HP computers used to have this problem at least mine did. I used to power off and reseat the ps2 mouse (unplug and plug back in) it eventually stoped.

beama
06-10-2003, 07:43 PM
sorry all that and he said he had a serial mouse need more coffee

tweak\'e
06-10-2003, 09:14 PM
it could be that the serial port is being shared by an internal modem. try the other port or change the modem settings

Mzee
06-10-2003, 10:27 PM
In Windows 98 the ps2 mouse is the default.
You have to Install a serial mouse, and select the com port to put it in.
Remember that Com1&3 have the same IRQ4 and Com2&4 IRQ3.
The serial mouse is usually in Com1 if your Modem is in 2 or 4.
If you Modem is in Com3, put the mouse in Com2. Remember to use the Com2 socket if you do this.