PDA

View Full Version : Why won't Outlook accept a *.msg file as an attachment?

Billy T
06-10-2003, 03:50 PM
In this post (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=39960) I was tryng to forward an animated email but couldn't because it automatically opens and runs when Forward is selected.

Once it is running you cannot enter anything in the To: field or forward it to anybody else. It doesn't stop at the end either, by some quirk of coding it runs in an endless loop so I can't just wait till it finishes.

The animation is not an attachment so I can't extract that on its own, so I clicked reply and saved the original message as an Outlook *.msg file. No other save option would work.

Clicking on the saved message would run the animation so I thought that was the answer.

I thought wrong :(

I sent an email to a friend, copy to myself with the *.msg file attached, but although the email was delivered to both destinations, the attachment was not there.

What am I doing wrong here?

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :|

somebody
06-10-2003, 04:16 PM
If the email is in HTML, then maybe you could edit it to stop it running forever?? I'm not sure if this is possible however, as I have never done it before. It's worth a try.

nembathekid
06-10-2003, 04:40 PM
Because a .msg file is what emails and contacts are called if you drag them from inbox to an explorer folder, and outlook, (due no doubt to the fact that microsoft never thought that anyone would do something so odd (or normal) as attach an email to an email) says you can't attach emails to emails. Try zipping the .msg file.

Billy T
06-10-2003, 05:51 PM
> microsoft never thought that anyone would do
> something so odd (or normal) as attach an email to an
> email) says you can't attach emails to emails.

Figures! I've been chasing my tail. I can't see how the message is constructed and I suppose the audio and animation is all contained within an original html file or similar. I opened it in a hex/text editor to window in ZTree to remove email addresses and subject details etc but apart from those few bits of obvious information I was lost.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

-=JM=-
06-10-2003, 06:06 PM
Have you asked the person that sent it where they got it from? You don't happen to still have it sitting on the mail server accessible via web still do you?

nembathekid
06-10-2003, 06:34 PM
Are you using Outlook 2003?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Email on a leash
Office 2003 unveils Microsoft’s Information Rights Management (IRM) technology , designed to help companies control documents and email. The Professional and Professional Enterprise packages, running on Windows Server 2003, let you create “protected” email messages that can’t be printed, forwarded or copied.

You can also create Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents with similar restrictions and/or expiration dates, after which the files will not open. One point of IRM is to prevent someone from goofing up a document on which you’ve worked long and hard — a presentation with a corporate-mandated colour or graphics scheme, for example. But IRM’s main goal is to control the flow of information and thereby provide another layer of protection against corporate legal troubles and leaks.

Recipients of IRM-protected files will need either Office 2003 or a viewer that Microsoft plans to offer on its website and incorporate into Internet Explorer. IRM could help companies lock down confidential documents, but there’s potential for aggravation. For instance, what if you send IRM-protected files to people who use a web browser other than IE? Whether the Microsoft viewer will play nicely with other browsers remains to be seen.

If Outlook is your primary email client and contact manager, you’ll find that spending $239 for the new version’s fresh look and other enhancements is worthwhile. However, the improved Outlook is not sufficient justification for a total Office remodel.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

from http://pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/pcw.nsf/f2abee2df7582f36cc2569a4007e4ab9/77ed1d927ab05b1ecc256da9007c1f50!OpenDocument

ilikelinux
06-10-2003, 08:47 PM
Um... Most of us actually get the magazine and thwhole info was in that,
Any way, David why are you going around looking at office 2003?

Billy T
06-10-2003, 10:45 PM
> Have you asked the person that sent it where they got
> it from? You don't happen to still have it sitting on
> the mail server accessible via web still do you?

I still have the original copy, and I have been playing with a second copy that I managed to fluke by forwarding a copy to myself. It worked just once (after several attempts) and never again since. I then made extra copies by replying to myself and copying the attached original to another folder.

I was on the end of a long list of people who had forwarded it on but I don't know where it came from originally. And yes, if they could all forward it, why can't I. :(

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

ilikelinux
07-10-2003, 06:51 AM
What email program are you running?

somebody
07-10-2003, 07:52 AM
> Any way, David why are you going around looking at
> office 2003?

Why not?

ilikelinux
07-10-2003, 08:00 AM
I know him, he is absessed with macs and hates microsoft.

Murray P
07-10-2003, 09:16 AM
Outlook, which is why the query re Office 2003 was made.

The email doesn't have an embedded link in it does it Billy. Any activity while it's playing?

Cheers Murray P

nembathekid
07-10-2003, 09:18 AM
> Um... Most of us actually get the magazine and
> thwhole info was in that,
> Any way, David why are you going around looking at
> office 2003?

X-( X-( shutup.... X-( X-(

Billy T
07-10-2003, 01:33 PM
> What email program are you running?

I thought you Linux geeks were smart. :p

I only mentioned Outlook in the subject line and again in one of my posts.;\

Email client is Outlook 2000.

There are no embedded links Murray, the file contains the animated graphics and the sound, all in 321kb.

I think I might post some of the info that appears when I right click the file and click *source*.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)
[b]Ponders: Does *I Love Linux* mean you are ILL ?:|
(No offence intended, just one of Billy's sick jokes) :D

Chris Randal
07-10-2003, 02:12 PM
"Most of us actually get the magazine and thwhole info was in that"

Nice generalisation there......

ilikelinux
07-10-2003, 03:46 PM
>Ponders: Does *I Love Linux* mean you are ILL
>(No offence intended, just one of Billy's sick jokes)
No. (it's acutually a little on the funny side)

Have you got all the latest service packs and patches,
If you do, try and attach an another file and send that,

If that doesn't work, Try reinstalling, This could also work,

Sorry i've taken so long to say this, I got adsl yesterday.....

-=JM=-
07-10-2003, 04:00 PM
If it's that size and has video and sound and you can also manage to play it easily. I'm picking it is flash. I'd try turning off any "display attachments inline" options or anything to do with executing adjustments.

Billy T
08-10-2003, 04:05 PM
Right!

The source or originating system was Incredimail, and right
clicking on the screen and selecting *source* brings up a pile
of text/code. The beginning and end of this stuff look like this:

Beginning

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<html>

<head>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=us-ascii">

<meta name=Generator content="Microsoft Word 10 (filtered)">

<style>
<!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
{font-family:Tahoma;
panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
@font-face
{font-family:"Comic Sans MS";
panose-1:3 15 7 2 3 3 2 2 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
{margin:0cm;
margin-bottom:.0001pt;
font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
{color:blue;
text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
{color:blue;
text-decoration:underline;}

End:

<p class=MsoNormal><font size=2 face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'><span id=IncrediStamp>__________________________________________________ __

</span></font><font size=2 face="Comic Sans MS"><span style='font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Comic Sans MS"'></span><a
href="http://www.incredimail.com/redir.asp?ad_id=309&amp;lang=9"><span
style='text-decoration:none'>cid:image002.gif@01C35C0A.D13D4DF0</span></a> <span
style='font-style:italic'>IncrediMail</span> - <span style='font-weight:
bold'>Email has finally evolved</span> - </span></font><font size=2
face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'><a
href="http://www.incredimail.com/redir.asp?ad_id=309&amp;lang=9"><font
size=3 face="Times New Roman"><span style='font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman";
font-weight:bold'>Click Here</span></font></a></span></font><font
face=Arial><span style='font-family:Arial'> </span></font></p>

</div>

</body>

</html>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Any ideas on what it all is? I'm into curiosity and learning now,
the ability to email it is less important than finding out what it
is that I don't know. I'm tempted to rename it as an html file
and see what happens.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D
[pre][b]And PF1 doesn't like scraps of code appearing
in posts! Some functionality disappeared and I had
to use the back button to get to an edit screen

godfather
08-10-2003, 04:31 PM
Incredimail ..

If you look in the source, you see several "h t t p://www.incredimail.com/redir.asp?ad_id= 309&lang=9" (spaces inserted for sanity)

The code appears to call up incredimail to deliver the animations/graphics on line?

If this is the case, it *should* only run when you are connected to the web.

Graham L
08-10-2003, 04:34 PM
And the rest of the only 381k is just there to slow down the Internet. :D

-=JM=-
08-10-2003, 06:49 PM
Was the middle of the message just the text then?

Those incredimail mentions in there seem to just be the link on the advert tacked on to the bottom of the email trying to get you to use Incredimail.

Billy T
08-10-2003, 07:52 PM
> If this is the case, it *should* only run when you
> are connected to the web.

Nope, runs OK with no internet connection. The file is fully self-contained for sound, graphics and animation, which is why it is so annoying that it can't be forwarded as an attachment.

Thinking laterally, a simple solution would be to rename it with a different suffix so that Outlook didn't recognise it, but then the recipient would have to change the name so that it would run and it all gets to be too much trouble. Seems strange that it can run in Outlook so there must be an underlying protocol there somewhere.

Just for fun I renamed it as HTM and it opened with the background colour and text present as in the *source* details but the graphics & sound were missing.

I will play with it some more during my *cough* spare time and see what I can winkle out of it.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

PoWa
08-10-2003, 08:11 PM
Normally any sane person faced with an unattachable attachment would simply compress the offending object without further adieu. The advantages of this are numerous.

-=JM=-
08-10-2003, 08:32 PM
Really sounds like it is Flash to me usually ending in a .swf

Thomas
08-10-2003, 10:50 PM
Do not take offence Po,but adieu means farewell, you wanted no more ado.

Billy T
09-10-2003, 09:18 AM
Sometimes these animated *son et lumiere* intrusions are curiously and compellingly approriate for a current event or situation.

On this occasion it is very personal and very very funny, but you have to have been there to appreciate it. There are one or two of my friends who will wet themselves laughing (at my expense :( ) if I can just get it to their inbox.

Suffice to say it has a medical connection. :8}

Cheers

Billy 8-{)