PDA

View Full Version : Word problem

bk T
06-10-2003, 10:26 AM
I encountered some weird Word problems:

When I select a word (or a sentence or paragraph) in a document to change to Bold or Underline, the whole document changes to Bold or Underline! I have to click the 'undo' button once then only the selected text becomes bold or underlined. It also changes some of the formattings of the whole document. It is really annoying.

This happens almost 90% of the time; only sometimes I could get it right without having to click the undo button.

Have I done anything wrong with Word or how could I avoid it?

This happens to one machine running Office 2000 and another machine running Office XP. Both machines are using XP Pro OS with all the latest updates installed.

Cheers

godfather
06-10-2003, 10:52 AM
Start by deleting the copy of "normal.dot" on the offending machines.

This fixes 90% of Word problems, although the problem striking twice is unusual, unless they have at some stage shared a template.

bk T
06-10-2003, 11:34 AM
Thanks gf.

I think the problem started after I was experimenting the F4 (repeating last action) key on these two machines.

Have you used the F4 key function? It's weird.

Cheers

bk T
06-10-2003, 10:12 PM
I've deleted the normal.dot but the problem still doesn't go away when I opened a word doc saved with the previous normal.dot template. Could it be the file inheritated those problems from the old template?

Has anyone ever encountered this problem?

Or could it be virus? I've scanned with NAV 2002 but found nothing.

Shall I uninstall and re-install Office?

Cheers

godfather
06-10-2003, 10:31 PM
Deletion of normal.dot to correct a problem won't magically fix the documents created under a faulty template.

Normal.dot holds the defaults for any new document.

Think about the activity.

You begin a new document, based on a blank page.
That blank page (document1.doc) has the formatting options from normal.dot.

You then save it under filename.doc.

At that point all the formatting options that existed under normal.dot, and inherited by filename.doc by virtue of a name change are embedded in the document.

When you open it later, normal.dot is not involved.
Its not a new document, how can it be?
If it was, every time you opened any document it would change all formats back to the default, despite some being personlised for the specific needs of each document.

If you want to cleanse an existing document, copy and paste (as text) into a new document, and then reformat it.