PDA

View Full Version : drive size

veterannz
05-10-2003, 10:42 PM
After a format, I have accidently got a Drive C of a
bout 28 mb and drive D of approx 38 GB. This is not a problem in itself but when downloading windows updates to the clean HD they want to go to "C" where they wont fit and no option is given to putting them in drive D which is THE drive. Short of a reformat can anyone tell me how to make drive D the default drive for downloads

=

tweak\'e
05-10-2003, 11:09 PM
the updates have to install on whatever drive the os is installed.

i hope that 28mb is a typo and its really 28GB. just move some stuf off c to d to make room.

awoof
06-10-2003, 01:52 PM
Unfotunately this is not a typing error. During installation we are getting an unpartitioned space of 38139 mb and a "C" partition1 [FAT] of 24 mb. When we try to delete "C" it says it contains setup files and wont delete.
We want the main partition to be the "C" drive

Susan B
07-10-2003, 09:33 AM
> Unfotunately this is not a typing error. During installation we are getting an unpartitioned space of 38139 mb and a "C" partition1 [FAT] of 24 mb.

It could be just me, but that does not make sense. Windows will not fit on a 24MB partition, never mind its updates. I think you may have to explain a bit further what has been done for anyone to help.

tweak\'e
07-10-2003, 09:59 AM
susan u read my mind. i would just repartion and start again.

PoWa
07-10-2003, 12:50 PM
Veteran, whats the capacity of your hard drive?

I think he might be meaning, 28mb free on drive C.

Try out Partition Magic, it will help you resize the 38Gb drive and then increase the size of your C drive. Use the drag n drop in the graphical interface for moving partitions, its much easier.

PoWa
07-10-2003, 12:54 PM
Also you might find some useful paths you can change by going:

Right click on my computer -> properties -> advanced tab -> environment variables.

awoof
07-10-2003, 04:14 PM
i am the one that is sorting the problem out for veterannz.
The above is correct, how it got to be like that i will never know,i have tried to work out what i did to get it in that state but i cant,but anyway the way i corrected it was i used the win98 boot disk and formated the the drives(C& D),then i fdisk and deleted the D drive and i then ended up with only the C drive.
Then i installed Win XP and when i came to the partition and formatting in xp setup there was only the one drive C: of 38163 mb instesd of the small C(24mb)and theD(38139mb)
So i started all over again and this time i got it right

Thanks to all concerned for taking the time to help,we are most gratefull

Cheers
Alan