PDA

View Full Version : Program to help me learn how to homepage?

Neil McC
05-10-2003, 10:17 PM
Have downloaded and installed The Free HTML Editor,a Coffeecup program to help me learn a bit about setting up a webpage.Trouble is,after running the tutor part of it,I get the message about being low on resources,and nothing else will run.Did a search on that here,and godfather said early on that it is the fault of a program,so I assume it's this one.Win ME,256 ram,800mhz.So,my boy's just been home and said it was a good program for me to learn on.Is there anything comparable?Have looked at another Coffeecup program,Coffeecup HTML Editor,but that assumes I know more than I do,which I don't!!
PS,sorry about the title!

Greg S
05-10-2003, 10:34 PM
In the old days I learned my page making using the free editor that comes with Netscape - called Composer. I used it on a machine that was far less speced than yours, without any resource issues. Just be sure you get Netscape 7, as it's Composer has become quite sophisticared for a free tool.

godfather
05-10-2003, 10:49 PM
The "resources" issue is how the program allocates the finite number of "pointers" in Win 9x and ME. Its not the power or memory on your PC.

If a program quickly gives you resource errors, then its the way the program is written. You should firstly look at a later version if there is one and download and try it. Dont run anything else at the same time, as that can be a cause.

Microsoft Word will publish a web page with ease, but it adds a lot of extra code you don't need.

Ideally a book on HTML and Notepad.exe (on every Windows PC anyway) is the best.

Chilling_Silently
05-10-2003, 11:13 PM
Personally, you should find yourself a few good tutorials, be they books, websites, or just a friend with basic HTML knowledge. I've taught a few people over the telephone how to write up basic websites in 10 minutes.

A little tip, Check the source of any website you come across that looks relatively simple. Im not meaning you should try viewing the source (HTML) of PressF1, Hotmail, or Xtramsn, but pages like my own rescueman.tk are written in basic HTML that I put together in about five minutes.

I fully agree with Godfather, Notepad is the best until you start some pretty major website creation :-)

ilikelinux
06-10-2003, 07:41 AM
An html book and notepad.exe ar the simplest away around, but they are not the tools for every one.
If you want to make good web pages without using html, download dreamweaver mx 2004

Neil McC
06-10-2003, 07:46 AM
Thanks guys.As gf says,it is the program,I've discovered.When I shut it down,it brings up a dial-to -home screen.I was offline,but had Mailwasher,MSN and Yahoo sitting there ready to go back online.It just froze,not even bringing up the dial up screen,which I can't find to disable,just like what happens when the modem first starts dialing in.
It's just that with this program,I have a top screen and a lower one,so I can open anything saved off the web in one,and see the HTML part of it in the other.See how I go.Thanks.

00falcon
06-10-2003, 12:07 PM
Less than a year ago i set out to learn html and the way of the web...
I found How stuff works.com very helpfull... it got me stated...

www.howstuffworks.com

now this is me.....

www.easypeasypages.co.nz

As i said i only stated a year ago... and now im doing an A+ course...
funny where life goes...

Later

00falcon
06-10-2003, 12:24 PM
Sorry... carrying on from above...

Learning to write html is byfar your best step in to web design...
just so you know whats going on behind the scenes...
then once you understand what goes where you can cut a past java script snipets that you find on the net into your page......
The first one i did was "add to favs."... Look in to it...

Once you under stand whats going on with html it all just starts to become clearer every day...

Frames Rollovers links websafe-colors index javascript .css clientside serverside .php And belive me... the list is f**king huge...

Also try to find your self a good graphix editor that has an option to save you images in the smallest file size possable... Remember download time is very important... I am sure that there is a program that only reduces file size... but find an editor that has one incorperated...

Later

stu140103
06-10-2003, 12:24 PM
In the early year's I learned my page making using Microsoft FrontPage before I moved up to Dreamweaver & using a raw HTML progume some times ;)

If you are not too keen about writing raw HTML (like I was) then using Microsoft FrontPage or any WYSIWYG (What You see Is What You Get) Program is a good idea :)

stu140103
06-10-2003, 12:26 PM
> funny where life goes...

Tell me about it.... :D

Kame
06-10-2003, 12:26 PM
Well WYSIWYG editors I guess are helpful for learning, I started out teaching myself by using FrontPage Express and viewing sources of other websites and doing a gazillion tutorials on HTML/JavaScript, You should then get to a point where you can drop the WYSIWYG editor and basically write the whole site from NotePad.

I use UltraEdit32 as my preferred tool for any programming under Windows, it's colour coding, syntaxing and highlighting makes it easier.

www.ultraedit.com

There are things that aren't vitally important in HTML and that's the nonsense of META TAGs, they do play a part, but in the basics of building a site it's not needed, you can always come back to those, what you want to work on is either getting a layout for your site and working from there, once the layout is done, content should be easy to insert.

As long as you know the direction you take is forward, then you'll continue to go as far as you can to learn it. If you think HTML as a profession though, hone your graphics skills or scripting skills. This is all that will make the difference in this field. Basically you have to do more than a WYSIWYG program, which is why graphics or scripts are the key decider.

00falcon
06-10-2003, 01:38 PM
Where's life going...

Trained as a chef...
was doing very well in my chosen caree...
Stacked my car...
Nearly died...
doctors said good by...
As you can see... i still going...
Masive head injury...
Not able to work in the kitchen...
oh no... I f**ked out...
Oh no hold on... computers some what click...
Started off with html...
Now ive got a few alright websites...
And sold a few peced together computers...
Start my part time A+ Course at 6 tonight

If i cant get a job in Website Design i will go for a low leval sys. operator and think about a Network + Course

Later

Neil McC
07-10-2003, 08:16 AM
Thanks all,very helpful.