PDA

View Full Version : powerup

spiderweb
05-10-2003, 09:10 PM
I am putting together a computer. So far I have been lucky. All main parts are working. But now the problem---I turn on the computer, whirlling and clicks, then 1 beep,and the screen has picture. But I only get to the screen that tells me, press del to enter, but I cant get any responce, from here on. .. any ideas. The cursor at this stage is flicking. Any help would be welcome. Thanks. webbie

Chilling_Silently
05-10-2003, 11:18 PM
Hi there,
Welcome to PressF1 :-)

My first concern is that you might be using a USB Keyboard on a PC that hasnt got USB for DOS enabled in the BIOS. There is a slightly more "official" name, but its beyond me at the moment sorry.

What happens if you leave it.. what message does it give? Im assuming you've simply got a HDD in it that is in need of a format?

I would suggest you try using a PS/2 Keyboard if you currently are using a USB one.. You can pick them up from DSE for around $15 sometimes.. Just until you get your OS setup and sorted :-)

Cheers

Chill.

Billy T
06-10-2003, 01:50 PM
> There is a slightly more "official"
> name, but its beyond me at the moment sorry.

Would that be Legacy USB Chill? I see that appearing on my screen when booting from a Ghost floppy (and I have a USB mouse).

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Graham L
07-10-2003, 03:31 PM
It is indeed Legacy USB. According to the USB "standards" it should be enabled during the POST, so you can get into the setup using a USB keyboard (so you can enable it for use at all times :D). Of course, there are people who "improve" standards. :_|