PDA

View Full Version : Choosing an LCD for Jen

cyberchuck
05-10-2003, 07:33 PM
Ok
Well I've been put incharge of making a list of nice LCD monitors for Jen. Have yet to figure out how I got this job, let alone why I'm doing it, but that'll be a different thread :p

Currently the restrictions are:
- $800 or less (Yeah, if I had $800 i'd be upgrading my machine too!)
- DVI and analogue connections
- don't want/need speakers attached to the monitor
- can't be a dog for gaming

At this point in time I'm asking for opinions/reccomendations/personal experiences on any LCD's fulfilling the above requirements and then I'll go hunt for some prices and have a nicely compiled list.

Thanks!

CyberChuck

Jen C
05-10-2003, 07:42 PM
Um ... nice one CC :p

I was actually meaning for you to go off and research it yourself as after PF1 homework you see - trying to keep you out of trouble for a bit and saving me the leg work researching of myself.

But since you have kindly posted your homework project here, I am open to suggestions from fellow PF1'ers :D

godfather
05-10-2003, 08:20 PM
Got just the thing.
Its available at Jaycar

"TFT LCD Widescreen Colour Monitor with IR Remote"
$719

STOCK-CODE: QM3752

Its a massive 7" in size, very portable.
Looking at your request, you never

Just trying to help.

Chao is back
05-10-2003, 08:21 PM
Well there's the brand that almost no one has heard of Chi Mei and they make a great 17 inch LCD for around $720.

16.7 million colours
16ms response time
400 cd/m2 brightness (that's right 400 cd/m2 opposed to 280 cd/m2 on other lcds)

godfather
05-10-2003, 08:22 PM
[edit: 21:10] [godfather]

Looking at your request, you never *said what size*
>
> Just trying to help.

Jen C
05-10-2003, 08:33 PM
Well thanks for your replies :D

Yes, I am looking for a 17" monitor. There seems to be a lot of things to be aware of, like colour saturation, curvature of the screen, dead pixel policies etc, so I wanted suggestions from people who have one and are happy with its performance.

cheers
Jen

vk_dre
05-10-2003, 09:11 PM
i got a 15inch Phillips model downstairs, got it for $650, cant really remember xactly wot the price was but i will chek out the invoice and specks for it 2moro, got it from PB Technologies.

Jen C
05-10-2003, 09:15 PM
Well I went looking for more info on the Chi Mei brand of LCD ... and you are right - no one has heard of it (at least in NZ). Looking at their website, it does have nice specifications, but I really would like to get a more common-place brand name - especially one where I can go and see it on display.

I have been thinking of the Philips 70B4BG (http://www.lcdmonitors.philips.com/lcdmonitors/products.asp?pid=30) monitor - it falls into my budget (just) :)

I know with monitors, they tend to outlive the other components of a computer, so this is why I want to get a good one so that it will hopefully last the distance.

Jen

godfather
05-10-2003, 09:35 PM
Remember Jen, there are only a handful of factories producing the actual panels used, so many will be from the same place at TFT panel level.

There are 3 prime factors in this (and everything).

1 High Quality
2 High Performance
3 Low Cost

But you can choose only 2 of these.

Quality and Performance = not low cost
Quality and Low Cost = not performance
Performance and Low Cost = not high quality

metla
05-10-2003, 09:43 PM
I picked up a phillips lcd a few months back..

this one http://www.lcdmonitors.philips.com/lcdmonitors/products.asp?pid=29

Absolutly terrible for gaming,you could see the textures blur as the screen could not keep up,Waste of time having a good video card if the monitor spoils it,so i put it on the office computer and picked up a nice 17in proview CRT,....To my eyes at least the picture is far better on the CRT,whether running games,working with text or graphical work.

Budda
06-10-2003, 07:15 AM
SAMSUNG if you can afford it

but make sure what ever you get has a response time of less than 25micro seconds, to avoid ghosting in games.

you might want to check out

www.tomshardware.com

Capt Jimbo
06-10-2003, 08:22 AM
I bought a Philips 170B4 a little while agao and and absolutely rapt with it. I play a lot of games on it (far too many games) and have no problems with response times or colours.
Extra selling point is the "Zero Pixel Defect" policy.
(Only takes one dead pixel for it to be replaced.)
Most of the cheaper LCD screens don't offer this.

Regards
Capt Jimbo

Murray P
06-10-2003, 11:47 AM
Picked up a Philips 15B4 for dad a few months back from AquilaTech (http://www.aquilatech.co.nz/index2.htm). Very good monotor although it doesn't have DVI input. The B models have a dead/stuck pixel warranty and I believe the 17" has DVI.

Cheers Murray P

Chao is back
06-10-2003, 08:19 PM
Well PCGEARONLINE has the screen for 715+GST.

http://www.pcgear.co.nz/code/products.asp?recid=8075&subcatid=256

Jen C
06-10-2003, 09:34 PM
Thanks Choa

I was obviously searching using a different name for that brand :)

After doing some more research, plus reading the feed back here, I had sort of picked out the Philips 170B4BG, but for the same price the CMV 17inch TFT from your link has a lot better specifications (response time).

So why is it selling for that price - what is the catch? Does it have a zero-dead pixel policy do you know? As godfather has already implied, I can't have my cake and eat it too. :D

Sorry for all the questions, but I don't know much about what makes a LCD better than a similarly priced one? For instance, you mentioned 400 cd/m2 brightness before - I take that is good? I know a faster response time is more ideal, but the total package of specifications must also be taken into account.

Cheers
Jen

Chao is back
06-10-2003, 09:39 PM
hmmm... i think it only has 1 year warranty depending on where you get it of course but otherwise its a great screen. I have one myself. The brightness is based on the room in which the screen will be used. If it is a well lit room then brightness of over 350 cd/m is more ideal IMO.
I mean for the price its a great screen and i've had no problems with mine. However the choice is yours, you may feel safer to go with a big name brand like Philips where most of your money goes into that little label on the screen.