PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Connecting to Internet

Karz
05-10-2003, 02:52 PM
Prob 1) Hi. I hav just formatted a computer on my network, with only baisically windows running. However when It boots up, it always tries to connect to the internet through my network. There is nothing as far as I can see running to make it do this. How do I track down Y it is insisting on connecting?

Prob 2) My computer tries to connect to the internet whenever I try to browse my computer. Open my compuer, and the connection dialog pops up for no reason. Y?

Thanks all

cyberchuck
05-10-2003, 03:18 PM
Problem 1 - use a firewall to find out what's connecting to where - ZoneAlarm is free and should do the trick.. Are you sure it's not WindowsUpdate?
Otherwise you can let it connect and use Netstat from a command shell to see where your connecting to and make judgements from there

CyberChuck

Susan B
05-10-2003, 05:57 PM
Would this computer be running Window XP? If so there would probably be a number of Windows things trying to go play on the internet, one being Win Update as CC mentioned.

A firewall will be able to tell you what is trying to go out and prevent its access if you so wish.

beama
05-10-2003, 06:06 PM
I would tend to go the way Cyber suggested, microsoft update. I Know that is what our newly formatted network clients try and do, also in properties of Intenet Explorer...... connection tab make sure that "dial when network connection not present" is selected.