PDA

View Full Version : Automaticly Obtaining IP and ICS

Karz
05-10-2003, 02:49 PM
Hi. I have a small 3 computer network, set up the very standard way. They share the internet through 1 computer. Id like to specify Ip addresses on all 3 of them, however those computers that are client computers to the host with the internet, stop using the internet when i specify and IP, and only work when automatically obtain is selected. How do I make them be able to use the internet, with a static IP I specify? (Using the standard 192.168.0.x ip and subnet 255.255.255.0)
Thanks every1

PoWa
05-10-2003, 03:01 PM
Might be in the gateway section. The gateway is the main computer that all the internet is going to and from, so you will need to put the gateway IP address into all the other computers gateway section.

And same subnet, same subnet, same workgroup. See how you get on..

cyberchuck
05-10-2003, 03:03 PM
Knowing what OS the clients are would be useful...

Step 1: Assigning a Static IP to all the clients:
Go into Control Panel, on Win9X/ME Machines double click on the Network icon.
Now, click on TCP/IP > *NIC NAME* then Click Properties
Select Use the Following IP Address
Type in an IP address and Subnet mask (I assume you know what ones you are using)

On WinXP, open the Control Panel and switch to classic view and open Network Connections then right click on your LAN connection and click properties
Click TCP/IP and Click Properties
Select Use the Following IP Address and fill in the details

[b]Step 2: Access the Net:[/b
On the Client you want to access the internet, get back into the Network Settings by following the instructions above for your OS
In Win9x/ME click on the gateway tab and then put the IP Address in of the machine that is running ICS on it (only do this on the machines that you want to use the shared internet connection - do not do this on the machine running ICS).
Then, on the DNS Configuration tab, select enable DNS, and then put the name of the Host machine (running ICS) on the HOST part - note that this is case sensitive! and in the DNS Server Search Order put the Ip address of your ISP's DNS Servers below (if Xtra is your ISP then their DNS Servers are discussed below)

On WinXP, below the Subnet Mask and IP Address is the Gateway setting, put the IP Address of the machine running ICS in here. Then, select Use the following DNS Server address, and then put the IP Addresses of your ISP's DNS Servers in here. For Xtra these are 202.27.184.3 and 202.27.184.5

You now have a working network sharing an internet connection and other files without DHCP!

CyberChuck

cyberchuck
05-10-2003, 03:04 PM
*kicks himself for not previewing before posting*

falvrez
05-10-2003, 09:29 PM
If you use MS ICS then the ICS host acts as a DHCP server...but it should use the Class C 192.168.0.x IP number anyway.
NSIFK but ICS forces the ICS host to be 192.168.0.1