PDA

View Full Version : reformatting hard drive

Ironman
05-10-2003, 03:55 AM
This is a beauty! I spilt coffee on my laptop a year ago and was told it wasn't worth repairing by Compaq. So it has been sitting for a year. I decided to clean it up and put it back together again. Suprise it worked! Everything! Since I now own a PC as well I decided to put the recovery disc in (to wipe all the old stuff off) and just use the computer for Powerpoint presentations. When the recovery disc aked me for the product code I was stumped. I had thrown the book away thinking I would never use it again. I now have another copy of windows but my computer refuses to recognise the d: drive unless the recovery disc is in it. I have downloaded a driver onto a floppy and put that together with a boot up disc, but even when I go in to C: drive and windows I cannot get the d: drive to work. Any ideas? Can I format the hard drive and if so what are the command lines? I can work the computer in "safe mode" but that won't let me use the d: drive either. Is everything in conflict with the info from the recovery disc?

Spacemannz
05-10-2003, 10:27 AM
What version of Windows did you get Ironman? And is it the upgrade, or the full version? Hopefully it's full. Otherwise, it'll ask u to chuck in a disk or CD, for a previous version of Windows. (Which I take it, you haven't got)! Only the recovery CD, which probably wont work).

Most Windows CD's are bootable.

Go into the BIOS. And change the bootdisk to D: (the cd). Save the settings before you exit the BIOS. Chuck in the CD you have. Let it reboot. The CD which should be bootable, should then install Windows.

(It'll also format the hdd, so you dont need a dos disk etc to do this).

Just follow the prompts/windows, and voila at the end of it, you'll have Windows!

Spacemannz
05-10-2003, 10:29 AM
Oops forgot to say, when and IF the CD has finished installing Wndows, go back into the BIOS and change the bootdisk back to C: And it will run Windows off C: