PDA

View Full Version : reformatting issues

csinclair83
04-10-2003, 10:05 PM
i was gnna reformat the pc tonight but the recovery floppy that came with the pc apparentyly now has win98 instead of winxp home boot disk on it...
i'm worried as its the only thing that can reformat system and put the whole computer back to the state it was when it left the shop...as the whole system is on a hidden partition of the hdd...

i know i can make another boot disk..i was thinking i could do it on the same disk..but i cant see where on the computer i can do it...or is there newhere i can download it from?

its for a packard bell imedia running winxp home...

Chilling_Silently
04-10-2003, 10:46 PM
It's just using the Win98 Boot Disk files to boot.. it will not be installing 98 unless that's what your PC came with.

You can probably just boot off the CD's anyway!

Try right-clicking on your FDD (with the floppy in there) and choosing Format. It'll give you the option of making it a System Floppy or something like that :-)

vk_dre
04-10-2003, 10:56 PM
> You can probably just boot off the CD's anyway!
> Try right-clicking on your FDD (with the floppy in
> there) and choosing Format. It'll give you the option
> of making it a System Floppy or something like that

Yep, u can create a bootdisk within XP and use it to boot the comp, and if u do have the Win XP cd u can boot off that, by setting the Cd drive to the primary drive in Bios settings and then restarting the comp and it should boot off the CD. Plus Win 98 cant be installed from the Floppy disk, cos thats too small a capacity for the disk to fit all the files needed to install the OS :D (well thats wot i think)