PDA

View Full Version : IP address

DanielS
04-10-2003, 09:26 PM
hi,

somebody in a forum where i participate is posting the ip of another person in public. this person's ip he's posting is a very rude person by swearing and cursing a lot, but posting he's isp ip number in public is a bridge too far.
i was wondering though how this person got the other person's ip in the first place. special program? coz he isn't a moderator, and only they have access to our ip addresses i think.

thanks in anticipation

-=JM=-
04-10-2003, 09:51 PM
Are you sure it is the persons IP address?

cyberchuck
04-10-2003, 10:04 PM
The thing you have to remember is that if the person is on dialup then every time they reconnect they get assigned a new IP address from their ISP's allocation pool. The same thing happens if you have an internal ADSL modem and reboot your machine, or just restart your ADSL router - you get assigned a new IP Address.
The problem with posting the users IP Address isn't the fact that it's immature in a sense - but that it stuffs up people who end up getting the posted IP Address when they just want to \browse the internet or check their email and find some idiot who is trying to exact his revenge on the IP Addy and some poor guy ends up with his firewall nutting off every few seconds about this and that...

But like JM said - are you sure that it's their IP Address?

CyberChuck