PDA

View Full Version : font ? in works wont stay default.

beetle
04-10-2003, 04:13 PM
ok i have to say it i hate times new roman as a font / thingie, and so changed it for all essays to be sooe thing else.
but when i open new doc or even get down the page at times it reverts back to TNR which is a pain and i remember changing it to my preference of font but am sure it changes for no apparent reason,

why does it revert to TNR when its not default font? i never remember to check before i start essays so it may just be a case of operator ignorance again...

or will changing the font not make it default?

does any one understand the gibberish i just said cos even i have trouble with that one...... :D

beetle

beetle
04-10-2003, 05:24 PM
it seems to be ok now maybe i just hadnt set it as default properly.

beetle

godfather
04-10-2003, 05:32 PM
You would need to tell people which version of Works you are using.
Also if its Works, or Works Suite
(Works Suite actually uses Microsoft Word, whereas Works has its own stripped down word processor)

Speaking generically, any document created when TNS was the default will open with TNS as the default, irrespective of any preference changes made to your system since.

A quick look on Google suggests that later versions of Works may not have the ability to globally change the default font, however its hard to tell as many start off talking about Works, and end up talking about Word, so they must be using Works Suite.

Personally I have never liked or used Works (even though I have several copies) due to the poor recognition of the filetypes for those using Office. Unless you are careful about what type of file you save it as, its a curse when someone wants to open it in Office, using Word.

vk_dre
04-10-2003, 05:32 PM
So u dont want TNR to be the default font? :D I have been lookin thru Word Xp for the past 10mins and cant find anyway to change the default font, try something like TweakXp or editing registry on the net.

beetle
04-10-2003, 07:07 PM
thank you,

remember its not by choice i have ms works, as it came with the system on other puter and it has none on this one anyway, so installed it as i need an application for homework.

and i cant afford to upgrade at this point in time.

and sorry works 6

christmas is coming maybe should ask for word or office for xmas then huh?

and im still getting confused and i wrote the post.

beetle

godfather
04-10-2003, 08:42 PM
> So u dont want TNR to be the default font? :D I have
> been lookin thru Word Xp for the past 10mins and cant
> find anyway to change the default font, try
> something like TweakXp or editing registry on the
> net.

Well, thats easy in Word (any recent version including XP)

Find and open your "normal.dot" file. Make sure you have word set to view files of that type or you wont see it.

Look in Documents and Settings - {your login name}- Application Data - Microsoft - Templates.

Thats a default location. When you have that file open, change everything to the way you want all NEW documents to be. Then save and close.

Every NEW doc will have these defaults, every old one will retain the defaults it was created with.

As another hint, if Word ever screws up badly, errors etc, delete the normal.dot. Word will create a new one first time it runs, you will need to set your defaults again though. Its one of the most common reasons for word problems when this file gets corrupted. As its accessed everytime Word runs, it has a higher chance of getting damaged I guess.

Susan B
04-10-2003, 09:37 PM
This is just one more instance that highlights the limitations of the Works word processor compared to Word. The Works word processor is just an upgrade from Wordpad and nowhere near as sophisticated and customisable as Word.

Having said that most people using Word do not use a fraction of its features and could quite happily be using Works. I used to use Works until six years ago but after upgrading to MS Office I would not touch Works now.

Beetle, it probably is not worth your while upgrading to Office just for a couple more years of Uni. Works does the job for you just fine so stick with it and try not to pine for all those little "extras" that it can't do. :-)

On the other hand, if Father Christmas is stuck for ideas.......... :p :D

Godfather: Changing the default font in Word is much easier to do than that. Just go to Format > Font, set your preferred font then click on Default and answer Yes to apply it. :-)

vk_dre
04-10-2003, 11:19 PM
> Godfather: Changing the default font in Word
> is much easier to do than that. Just go to Format >
> Font, set your preferred font then click on Default
> and answer Yes to apply it. :-)

I cant bleave i missd that?! I spent a while looking for that and i couldnt find it then, but now u show me how simple it is, :D i must have had my eyes closd while searchin for it then.

godfather
04-10-2003, 11:45 PM
Yep, font only is that simple, but I do a once only format change (justification etc, + font) to normal.dot. No easy way to change most of the other defaults.