PDA

View Full Version : Zipping Files

Holy Cow
04-10-2003, 12:24 PM
I would like to know how I can zip (compress?) large files to send by email, and what do I need to install software wise to enable my to do this.
I am using MS Windows ME

Thanks

Neil McC
04-10-2003, 12:26 PM
Winzip.Most magazine cd's have it on them.

vk_dre
04-10-2003, 12:36 PM
Or if u have Win Xp, u already have its native form of WinZip, to access that one, click the file u want to compress, rite click on it then click on send to Compressed (Zipped) Folder. And Voila! There it is.

vk_dre
04-10-2003, 12:37 PM
> I am using MS Windows ME

Sorry, i read the post 2fast to take in the OS u were using, :), u could try WinRAR, that mite work.

Mike
04-10-2003, 12:39 PM
> Or if u have Win Xp, u already have its native form
> of WinZip, to access that one, click the file u want
> to compress, rite click on it then click on send to
> Compressed (Zipped) Folder. And Voila! There it is.

IIRC the same function is available in Windows ME.

Mike.

vk_dre
04-10-2003, 12:50 PM
> IIRC the same function is available in Windows ME.

Tru? well its been so long since i even seen a comp runnin Me, so i dunno wot it has on it :D

stu140103
04-10-2003, 01:10 PM
> > IIRC the same function is available in Windows ME.
>
> Tru?
Yep, ( I know because I am also running win ME :))

> well its been so long since i even seen a comp
> runnin Me, so i dunno wot it has on it :D

kiwibeat
04-10-2003, 03:00 PM
i use winace myself

Holy Cow
04-10-2003, 06:08 PM
I tried using the MS Win ME utility as described, but it still takes as long to email a compressed mp3 - as in the normal "uncompressed mode"
I am looking for something that will go quicker. Or am I unable to do this.

kiwibeat
04-10-2003, 06:12 PM
MP3s are already compressed send it on cdr by post saves a lot odf time and wasted effort

Holy Cow
04-10-2003, 06:14 PM
> Yep, ( I know because I am also running win ME :))
>
> > well its been so long since i even seen a comp
> > runnin Me, so i dunno wot it has on it :D
>
>

LOL, I have never used a machine with MS WinXP on it. You uinderestimate MS Win ME stu140103. Nice nickname by the way. Quite imaginative

-=JM=-
04-10-2003, 06:55 PM
http://www.7-zip.org can get better results sometimes.

Gordon.
04-10-2003, 07:55 PM
If the file is on the large side, in WinZip you can get it broken down to send in equal sized chunks of say 200kb as a example, you would just need to arrange with the other person that they would be getting say 30 messages all containing a portion of the zip and they would then combine it all together.

mikebartnz
04-10-2003, 10:35 PM
I prefer PowerDesk 5 from VCom.

vk_dre
04-10-2003, 11:03 PM
> I tried using the MS Win ME utility as described, but
> it still takes as long to email a compressed mp3 - as
> in the normal "uncompressed mode"
> I am looking for something that will go quicker. Or
> am I unable to do this.

U could change the Birate of the songs to one that is lower, and send it, but this would result in a lowerfile size (wot u want) but a loss in quality(wot u dont want), u could try riff-waving it with CDEx, then brake it up into proportions as suggested by other users with Winzip, and the person receiving the file will be able to join up the file only if they have that version of Winzip that incoporates the splitting and combining of files. With Riff-waving u will save a bit more space then conventional mp3 filesize and also its still in wav form for easy access and no codecs needed to play it.

tweak\'e
04-10-2003, 11:08 PM
there is very little to gain by truing to compress a file that already is compressed.

beama
05-10-2003, 02:21 AM
I use Power Archiver the version I have is freeware

Holy Cow
05-10-2003, 02:29 AM
Oh well, by the time I shag around doing all of that stuff, I might as well burn it to CD and send it in an envelope as standard post, or by courier. It will prob be quicker.
So much for technology LOL. Weren't computers supposed to simplify everything?

Susan B
05-10-2003, 12:52 PM
> So much for technology LOL. Weren't computers supposed to simplify everything?

Do you want jam on it as well? :O

Those mp3 files are already 1/10 of the size of the originals so you should not really be complaining about wanting to compress them even further.