PDA

View Full Version : cdrw password file...

yingxuan
04-10-2003, 05:52 AM
CAn u copy a file onto a cdrw.And if somebody tries to open a particular folder they cannot access it without typing a password?

Gordon.
04-10-2003, 08:18 AM
You should be able to but it would need to be done at the same time as creating the CD.

Not sure what options PGP gives you for passwording a file onto CD though if the folder was already PGP'ed on your hard drive, then it would copy across as such to the CD.

Other option would be to use Winzip and zip the contents and password the zip and copy that zip file to the CD.

I have not seen winzip 9 but it has I hear better encryption than the earlier v8/8.1.

PoWa
04-10-2003, 11:48 AM
Yes pgp will do it. If you make a pgp disk and then transfer it on the cd, and perhaps mount it in read only mode. Then you can access whatever is inside by clicking on the mounted drive/ntfs folder in explorer.

Otherwise you could try conventional encryption for the file (uses a password) and I think that it just opens it on the spot and doesn't write anything more to the disk. I would have to check that one.

Otherwise something like winrar is ok, but you have to extract the contents to the hard drive all the time, just to see whats inside.

There was a program I read about a few months ago that passwords the cd, I'll have to have a look for you.

yingxuan
08-10-2003, 01:27 PM
Winzip cannot read winrar files right?So if i convert a file to rar format.Winzip won't be able to open it?