PDA

View Full Version : messenger oldversions locked out

toxicbass
04-10-2003, 01:57 AM
Hi

as a retro pc owner,i prefer to run older programs that do the trick

however i was increasingly annoyed when msn emailed my hotmail account telling me to upgrade to latest msn 5 or so due to'security threats'

well to be frank,i dont care, a 133mhz with win95 isnt a huge hassle,and can run most things....it isnt targeted as highly by haxors with evil files,eg the XP vulnerabilities..

then after several of these large emails,about 1month later(now)
when signing into msn with msn 1 or 2.2,it says' u MUST upgrade'

i dont WANT to upgrade!!!
msn 2.2 works FINE it has fonts,etc etc.. and is tiny,and FAST it runs very quickly..why get 'amazing' and 'new ' and 'improved ' programs that i dont need..

igave in,i had to,i heard Trillian is being locked out sometime?????

btw msn runs slowly,reacts very slowly when i get kicked of the net,almost freezing pc,and does nothing more compared to msn 2.2 (400kb)

( a concerned luddite)
cheers

csinclair83
04-10-2003, 02:20 AM
thats the thing these days...gotta upgrade due to security..
it sucks sometimes coz it could just be something microsoft wants on ur computer but yeah...
just gotta follow wif it or not use it at all basically...

i not sure if u can ingore upgrades...maybe i dunno

vk_dre
04-10-2003, 03:01 AM
Surely somone out there must have found a way to prevent these "lockouts" of older messenger progs.

-=JM=-
04-10-2003, 03:43 AM
I'm with trillian at the moment and it is going strong. If it pulls out of the MSN deal I will begin to hit GAIM and Miranda, etc until I *need* to hit MSN with the official client. Though most of the people I *want* to chat to will be more than happy to hit the ICQ or Jabber way.

Chilling_Silently
04-10-2003, 11:53 AM
I agree, its time people moved to something like Jabber anyways. Rumor is MSN will be charging certain people for MSN soon too....

And nope, there's no way unless you can get somebody to decompile the old MSN messenger version and get them to re-write the authentication so it uses the MSN v9 protocol.

Anything under MSN 5 (that's 1,2,3,4.6 etc) will become un-usable from the 15th of Oct onwards..

Might I suggest you spend the next week getting your contacts to try Jabber?!

http://www.jabber.org

MrBeef
04-10-2003, 12:49 PM
the rumour of msn chargin people is for msn chats - cause you see they have closed them around several countries and will start charing US users to verify age etc.. because the growing pedophile risks etc etc