PDA

View Full Version : Printer Purchase Recommendations!!!

arse
03-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Hi all,

I am looking to purchase a laser printer for home. We are currently on a wireless network, with an ADSL Wireless Network Router. Our preference is to connect the printer via the router so that anyone on the network can print using that printer. So........

1. Is there a recommendable printer out there that will allow this, that either connects through the network, or preferably via Wi-Fi?
2. If so, how does one go about installing it?
3. Or, if not, is there a way to connect a printer using this sort of set up?

Many thanks.

Craig. :D

godfather
03-10-2003, 09:26 PM
Avoid USB, as they are not as network friendly

Parallel port means you should be able to use a cheap ethernet connected print server such as the DSE one (cat XH7915) $199. Mine works well.

There is a program to load (PSAdmin) that creates a Network Printer Port. You can also assign an IP for the unit. Mine did not like the ADSL router being the DHCP server, and I fixed it by hard assigning the IP address in the router and the Print Server.

Load the printer driver, as a local printer. After you have installed the driver, change the port to the Network Printer Port and its away.

Try to buy a printer that has a drum included in the toner kit if you can

They sound as though they are dearer to run ($150 for a drum and toner pack vs $50 for a toner only type) but my experience has been that the cheaper types (like Brother) have a low yield (copies per toner pack). Drum was $330 for the Brother, and was needed after 2 toner packs.

Russell D
04-10-2003, 10:33 AM
Running XP on a home network via an ADSL router modem - we share a HP laser which is connected to one of the computers. Anyone can print on this shared printer, provided the computer it is conected to is powered up and booted of course.