PDA

View Full Version : BTC CD Writer: Can't Install Write Software (WInME)

e.Icarus
03-10-2003, 07:28 PM
My first attempt at upgrading my PC - a Compac Presario Duron800 running Windows ME - has been to install a BTC 52x32x52 CDRW.

The hardware has gone in fine and the system recognises it ok.

My problem is that I can't seem to install any CD burner software. I have tried to install the Nero express that came with the drive and Roxio's EasyCD Creator.

Both programs start to install and a dialogue box titled Windows Installer comes up. In the dialogue box is a line of text saying "preparing to install" then nothing happens.

To check the hardware was functioning I installed a game that had I had never got around to installing before. This installed without a problem.

I'm pretty much a novice and have trawled the net trying to find a fix or even a reference to this problem.

Any ieas, anyone?

supergran
03-10-2003, 09:07 PM
Have you turned off everything you don't need before you try and install, as in firewalls, virus checkers etc. Don't know if it may make a difference, but it might. And don't forget the system restore, cos I have heard with that turned on sometimes things don't install as they should. Sorry couldn't help you more, cos I got mine installed by someone else.

e.Icarus
04-10-2003, 04:04 PM
Thanks Supergran but still no dice. I also tried to install the writer software from my old cdrom, disconnecting the new drive but it still wouldn't load.

All I can think of is that there is something I need to change in Windows ME but I have no ideas what.

ilikelinux
04-10-2003, 07:20 PM
On the cd that has the windows installer on it, there should be a folder that is called windows installer and two or so files in there, one of theose contains the windows installer fro 98, Me. if it doesn't then you can download it from microsoft here (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=CEBBACD8-C094-4255-B702-DE3BB768148F) The file is a bout 1.6 mb.
Note: this is the 95,98,Me installer 2.0

e.Icarus
05-10-2003, 12:53 PM
Cheers software loaded now. I downloaded a fresh copy of installer and then chose set up from the nero installation cd. Something changed because it loaded ok.