PDA

View Full Version : Downloading with Linux

Chemical Ali
03-10-2003, 06:48 PM
Hi

Linux virgin here!

When I'm downloading a Linux app from the web -- how do I do it!!

When I click on a Linux download link it opens up a file directory and I'm not sure what I should be clicking on and what steps to follow.

Thanks

Jen C
03-10-2003, 07:29 PM
First of all, make yourself a new folder in /home to put all your downloaded files - easier to find things that way. Then when you click on a download file, a box will pop up asking you where to save the file - just navigate to your new folder /home/downoads and click Save.

Once it has downloaded, depending on what file type it was eg rpm, tar.gz etc, you might need to uncompressed the file (tar.gz) - similar to unzipping in Windows - and it will ask you where you want the file extracted to. If it is a rpm, you should be able to just double-click on it to install it. You may need to be logged on as root as well.

What app is it that you want to download? - more specific instructions can be given then.

Jen C
03-10-2003, 07:58 PM
Back again ...

Just noticed that I didn't type in the directory path properly when suggesting you make a new folder for your downloaded files - it should be under /home/your_username/downloads.

cyberchuck
03-10-2003, 08:09 PM
After you've made your downloads directory you have several options.
1) Use the browsers default download manager and hope for the best (usually they don't have pause features)
2) Use KGet which is an add-on to Konqueror's webbrowser (run "kget" from a konsole without the quote marks)
3) Use D4X (Downloader for X) which is based on Getright, Download Accelerator Plus, etc - search on google for it.
4) Use wget (konsole based) - in a konsole enter:
"wget www.sitename.com/download.exe" (once again without the quote marks), just change www.sitename.com/download.exe to whatever you want to download. Also be aware that it helps to be in the directory you wish to download to before using wget.

CyberChuck

sam m
03-10-2003, 08:34 PM
Can I add to this as I too am coming to get grips with Mandrake.
I like using Opera so have downloaded and installed. I have no idea where it is as I just allowed it to go to defaults.
Unable to find I simply went to run command........ and type Opera and hey presto.

I have since added instructions provided by jen for future downloads but does anyone have any idea where I can find where Opera is installed as I want to add it to my taskbar (have to work out how first) so I can launch that as preferred browser.

cheers
sam m

cyberchuck
03-10-2003, 08:45 PM
> I have since added instructions provided by jen for future downloads but does
> anyone have any idea where I can find where Opera is installed as I want to add it
> to my taskbar (have to work out how first) so I can launch that as preferred browser.

You don't need to know where it's located as Linux will run any program straight from the icon and it's name.
Eg: In Redhat with KDE - Right Click on desktop and select create new > link to application
In the General tab type the name of the app as you wish to see it and click the icon to choose the list of possible icons for it
Go to execute and type 'opera' (inclusive of quote marks)

That should do it..?

CyberChuck

cyberchuck
03-10-2003, 08:47 PM
If your interested however, then as far as I can tell the executables are stored in /usr/bin

Jen C
03-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Hi sam m

A couple of good tips for finding files, is in a konsole or terminal windows type either:
whereis opera
locate opera
Also, in KDE in Red Hat (not sure if this is in other distro's) you can go KMenu > Find Files. Leave the "name" blank, and under "look in" select /. Under the properties tab select "Find all files created or modified" and then "during the previous" and then select 1 hour or whatever if it is just recently added to the system.

This site here is really helpful for linux newbies, and you and Chemical Ali might like to take a look at it: Newbie's Top Ten Commands (http://www.cmm.uklinux.net/steve/ntt.html) :)

sam m
03-10-2003, 09:03 PM
Perfect CC youŕe a legend.

done

thanks
sam m

JohnD
03-10-2003, 09:15 PM
>You don't need to know where it's located as Linux will run any program straight from the >icon and it's name.

This assumes that the executable is located in a directory that is included in a path statement somewhere - i.e. it may not always work unless a path is given.

Graham L
04-10-2003, 02:36 PM
And although many of the executables are in /usr/bin, there will be others in /bin, /sbin, /usr/sbin, /usr/share/bin, usr/share/sbin, /usr/local/bin ... Some applications make their own trees (usually under /usr). :D

locate doesn't always work. Like apropos it needs a database ("whatis") which is generated/updated by a cron task. I'm not totally sure when that task is supposed to run ... it used to be an "early hours" one, but now it's "weekly". (I just run it manually: (as root) updatedb (which actually starts "slocate" :D) The Mandrake 9 as installed (from the CDs I got on a magazine) puts it in a particular place which is not the place where the locate script looks for it :_| I just changed the script --- the page appears in two places in the script.