A: Flopy
B: none
C: none
D: old windows install
E: Cd rom 1
F: New windows install
G: Cd rom 2
H: - Z: none
My problem is i cant change the New windows install to C: using computer management because you cant change the drive letter of the active drive.
How do i change it to C:?

PoWa
03-10-2003, 05:04 PM
Faq 43b I think it is. Might take a while to load, be patient. Involves using partition magic, or completely reinstalling everything :)

Merlin
03-10-2003, 08:34 PM
Not possible without screwing up registry references, links, application software references etc.

Reinstall.

Men are four:
He who knows not and knows not he knows not, he is a fool -- shun him;
He who knows not and knows he knows not, he is simple -- teach him;
He who knows and knows not he knows, he is asleep -- wake him;
He who knows and knows he knows, he is wise -- follow him!
- Lady Burton (wife of Sir Richard Francis Burton), given as an Arabian proverb

PoWa
03-10-2003, 09:55 PM
Fixing the drive letters in Win2k and XP including the system drive.

Normally you would change improper drive letters, by right clicking My Computer, selecting Manage, then navigating to Disk Management.

This would allow you to change all the drive letters except the drive that is running Windows because it is in use. Now that can be a real hassle if you have installed a new hard drive, and your Windows partition is now changed to H:\ drive, instead of C:\.

Normally to fix that, you would have to unplug the slave drive, and completely reinstall Windows on the new drive to get it back to C:\.

Not anymore! if you install Partition Magic 8 in Windows, it can fix all the drive letters up for you - including the partition the operating system is on.

Partition Magic will reboot the system and make the changes before windows starts.

Heres how to do it:
-> Load up PM8 in Windows.
-> Select the drive whose letter you want changed.
-> Click partition from the menu bar.
-> Scroll down to advanced.
-> Then select "Change drive letter".
-> Change it to what you want, and apply changes.

This will save you quite a lot of time installing Windows lots of times to get the drive letters correct.
-Powa

As the person has said, it is a fresh install of XP and it doesn't affect anything if you change the system drive letter to C:\. No side affects at all. If your recently installed apps complain, just reinstall them.

mcatley
03-10-2003, 11:02 PM
Yea i tried that and PM8 rendered my system unbootable im just going to pull the power cord out of my other HDD. i have to do a re-format n e way

mcatley
04-10-2003, 12:00 AM
I just thought Id post to say that all the drives are at their correct letters and i am now doing 50MB of windows updates :( (and i had sp1 on a cd (even bigger :())

Susan B
04-10-2003, 09:54 PM
> I just thought Id post to say that all the drives are at their correct letters and i am now doing 50MB of windows updates (and i had sp1 on a cd (even bigger)

That is where Ghost is worth its weight in gold. ;-)

PoWa
04-10-2003, 10:40 PM
> That is where Ghost is worth its weight in gold.

Yes well seeing Ghost is just 1's and 0's and could fit on a mini cd-r weighing in at <2gms that would make it about <$50? :p