PDA

View Full Version : Unwanted messages from Win XP

Wiremu1
03-10-2003, 03:27 PM
When my desktop appears after booting up ,four message windows appear, one after the other, saying that Win cant find something. The something concerned is shown as meaningless squares. Does anybody know how to stop this from happening?<wiremu1@yahoo.com>

Susan B
03-10-2003, 05:48 PM
It is a bit difficult to know what you are talking about without seeing them but I would suggest that you run an up-to-date anti-virus scanner as well as AdAware and Spybot with updated reference files to rule out any nasties.

If that doesn't help post back for more advice.

PS: It is not a good idea to post your email details on the forum unless you want the spam bots to harvest your email. ;-)

PoWa
03-10-2003, 06:35 PM
Can I ask you to give us a screenshot of what is happening??

Hit the print screen key on ya keyboard, open up MS paint, go edit->paste, and it will appear. Save the file as a jpeg and use good compression. Then upload it to here (http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/?mode=home) and give us the link.

vk_dre
03-10-2003, 07:45 PM
I feel it has something to do with the registry, did u do any major system adjustments, ie playing with the registry? Do u hav a firewall? If i was u i would do as both Susan and Powa have suggested, if all that fails, u mite have to go to a system restore point or even reinstall Win Xp to its prestine state.

Mzee
04-10-2003, 12:49 AM
First Run "XP-Anti Spy" this gets rid of all the garbage.
Run "Norton Utes" "Win Doctor" to clean up the registry.