PDA

View Full Version : Web Domains

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
02-10-2003, 09:46 PM
Hello all,

Just before I get back into the classroom and start my series of 15+ exams (Yes, 15 each 2-3 hours long :_|) I have to get something learned

I would like to know the cheapest option of having a domain registered and used the way I want it. I would like a domain for a start, then a "couple" email address for family as well as my self. Then a very simple website which will be coming much later.

So far, I have a "few" old machine, all Pentiums. So can I host my website on this... despite shutting it down everynight, simply because my website will probably just be photo galleries for family usage, etc.

So is it as simple paying $40 from Freeparking for a domain.. and redirecting the domain to my Orcon website? Or do I actually have to set my Pentiums up to act as a server.... *This comment is not intended to create a flame thread... please dont* Sorry, but I currently do not have any interest in playing or using Linux.. only my self opinion, no whys :p

Many thanks,

P.S. For those others on holidays... make the most of it.. good luck with all your exams

stu140103
02-10-2003, 09:59 PM
> So is it as simple paying $40 from Freeparking for a
> domain.. and redirecting the domain to my Orcon
> website?

Yep, but you might want to look around (& do a search on here) for cheaper domain company’s, but part from that, it is easy

I hope this helps

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
02-10-2003, 10:03 PM
Do I still need to pay extra for the email, i.e. name@myplace.com

Thanks,

stu140103
02-10-2003, 10:14 PM
> Do I still need to pay extra for the email, i.e.
> name@myplace.com

It depends on who you are going to buy your domain name with, some domain company’s will let you just use your domain name for just e-mail then other you might need to get a web host as well.

-=JM=-
02-10-2003, 10:22 PM
Well it all depends on what you're wanting, do you actually want to get the domain because you could always just use free orcon hosting.

http://www.discountdomains.co.nz are who I would go through. Or possibly http://www.registerdirect.co.nz if you want free email hosting.