PDA

View Full Version : How much do you replace, before buying new machine?

beetle
02-10-2003, 06:39 PM
just out of curiosity , how much or many components do you or anyone replace before the idea is to replace the whole machine, discard the old in favour of a new?

say its that sick and you have to replace a lot (or most) of the parts or components, how far is to radicle before its better to chuck it out as such and get a new puter?

please note this is not happening just wondering if my machine has too much wrong with it whether we should just start fresh?

and also what happens to old unused puters ? is there a puter dump or heaven? :D

dont panic, this is not happening to beetles puter.......
just a question.

beetle

ilikelinux
02-10-2003, 06:49 PM
It depends on if you want your computer to last a long time or not.

And for the computer heaven, i would like one of those, (imagine-Linux..................)

godfather
02-10-2003, 07:09 PM
Everytime I have looked at "upgrading" and compared the price to that of replacement, I have always replaced.

I tend to keep monitors etc, and just replace the processor box.

Been doing that since late 80's (bought my first PC in 1981).

The benefits of incremental upgrades, in terms of performance, seem to be less "bang for the buck" than overall new systems. You always have a limiting factor, such as RAM type/speed, Video Card speed etc that you have to work around in an "upgrade" that keeps you from getting optimum performance.

In terms of cost, its a mere fraction of what it cost in the 90's

Presently on my 12th PC.
Its perhaps different for me, as my PCs are a business expense and are depreciated, plus GST is refunded.

kiwibeat
02-10-2003, 07:48 PM
I just upgrade my cpu a 1.3 Thunderbird and HDD to a larger size presently at 60 and 80 gigs

nomad
02-10-2003, 08:04 PM
n/a replacement parts will be used in my new system.
i purchase a system based on individual parts.

well, to replace worned parts, i have spent one cd rom, one floppy, one ide hdd cable, one mouse bout it really. these newer parts will be used iin my next puter. add a new mobo wif integrated lan, sound, video etc.., perhaps a standalone video, hdd, cpu and away it goes.

i bought a logitech keyb for the heck of it. v nice quality thou :D

nomad
02-10-2003, 08:05 PM
need to add ram too onto my new system. or it won't start up!

Waltzzz
02-10-2003, 08:15 PM
I have a machine that is like Captain Cook's axe - has had many new handles and many new heads. It is now as far as it will go with an AT type motherboaed and case. But yesterday I added wi-fi and now it needs a new fan... but it might till do its simple work in win 98 se in 5 yeas - who knows. Incremental was alwasy cheaper than a new one when the coice points came. All it has left from the original 93 purchase is the floppy. But not even the cable that goes to the floppy.

My other machine is PIII XP Laptop.