PDA

View Full Version : Computer protection

radar
02-10-2003, 04:00 PM
Being new to computers I need help in what protection do I need to install to avoid Virus, bugs, adds etc on my computer. I have Nortons Personal firewall and Antivirus protection already installed on my computer.

Any help would be appreciated

Radar

stu140103
02-10-2003, 04:28 PM
> Being new to computers I need help in what protection
> do I need to install to avoid Virus, bugs, adds etc
> on my computer. I have Nortons Personal firewall and
> Antivirus protection already installed on my
> computer.

You have the two most imported things a firewall & a Antivirus Program make sure you keep them up-to-date

Other thing you can think about:

for AD-aware & spy where

You could use:
Ad-Aware & Spybot search & destroy ( do a search on here on where to download them)

For Spam

Mailwasher (free) one account (or pro paid you can have more then one account & hotmail support) or do a search on here for a older version 2.28( I think that is the version) which allows you to have more then one account & hotmail support for free

I think that should cove you :)

Hope this helps.

PS: make sure check windows update very often(all most as often as you check for new virus def) for Critical Updates and Service Packs etc.... (especially if you are using a new MS OS e.g. XP or 2003 server etc…. & if you are using IE 6.0

Gordon.
02-10-2003, 04:33 PM
You are have way there already having Nortons AV and Nortons Firewall.

You do need to keep your Nortons AV updated though, either by Auto Updating or checking manually or combination of both.

You also need to be aware of Spy/Adware and two common programs for searching and deleting such material installed with or more common without your knowledge would be Spybot and Adaware available at the following links and both free.

http://www.safer-networking.org/

http://www.lavasoft.de/support/download/

While both of these programs search out spy/ad ware, they both cover different functions.

Assuming that you are using Outlook Express, another good tip would be to disable the preview pane by doing the following .

Outlook Express > View > Layout > Remove the Tick from the Preview Pane option > Apply/Ok.

Of course never open attachments that you don't know who the sender is including attachments alleged to have been sent by Microsoft.

Don't reply to Spam Mail and don't follow the Remove Me Forever links that are supplied in Junk Mail.

Go to Microsoft from time to time and keep up with all the updates for Windows and its various add ons.

You don't mention which Windows Operating system you have but if it is XP, there are SP updates/grades available and would be well worth downloading and installing.

Other people will no doubt offer many other good tips to keep you safe.

stu140103
02-10-2003, 05:21 PM
> Assuming that you are using Outlook Express, another
> good tip would be to disable the preview pane by
> doing the following .

You do not need to do that, I am using preview pane (with outlook express 5.5 SP2) & I have not had a problem or a virus or any thing bad!,

Just make sure you keep your computer up to date with the windows update :) & you keep AV programs up to date & you will be fine!

stu140103
02-10-2003, 05:39 PM
> I have Nortons Personal firewall

If you want to check to see how secure your firewall is go here to Gibson Research Corporation (http://www.grc.com) then look for "ShieldsUP!"(sidenote: I & many other Pf1ers use this site often to test there firewall) it does a good job & it is free! :D

tommy
02-10-2003, 05:44 PM
> > Assuming that you are using Outlook Express,
> another
> > good tip would be to disable the preview pane by
> > doing the following .
>
> You do not need to do that, I am using preview pane
> (with outlook express 5.5 SP2) & I have not had a
> problem or a virus or any thing bad!,
>
> Just make sure you keep your computer up to date with
> the windows update :) & you keep AV programs up to
> date & you will be fine!
>

You have probably just been lucky. A number of viruses can run simply by previewing them, including the latest worm, W32.Swen.A@mm. Quoted from Symantec's website: (http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.swen.a@mm.html)
"This worm exploits a vulnerability in Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express in an attempt to execute itself when you open or even preview the message."

stu140103
02-10-2003, 06:03 PM
> You have probably just been lucky.

I probably have been lucky :D & I have more then one e-mail address( that is another tip) set-up a free e-mail address on yahoo or hotmail for online stuff.