PDA

View Full Version : Mystery of the missing C drive

slaurent
02-10-2003, 11:42 AM
On reboot recently the startup couldn't locate the c: drive for bootup. When I ran Norton emergency recovery and antivirus they couldn't see it either. It showed on the BIOS detection as "Not Installed".

I'm guessing that I may have been hit with a very vicious boot sector virus because the last session involved internet access. However, my tech people couldn't be sure. They tried it on another system and it didn't show up there either They've pretty much ruled out a simple hardware death.

If I've been hit with a virus is there any way to dig into the hard drive to restore it or recover the data?

Gordon.
02-10-2003, 11:49 AM
Hardware is not really my area but I had something like that couple of months ago, C drive simply failed to appear at boot up, in fact nothing booted, cannot remember the error message now but turned out to be a failed hard drive. If the drive has failed in a second system I would be inclined to suggest it has passed on to a better place.

Have you tried another hard drive in the computer where the "dead" hard drive has come out of, if not try that and see what happens, could possibly narrow down whether you have a problem with the computer itself or not.

pompeymike
02-10-2003, 12:01 PM
if it was a boot sector virus then it wouldn't boot but it should still be detected by the bios. If it's showing as 'not installed' and all your cabling is ok then it most likely is a faulty drive. Most hard drive manufacturers provide free downloadable diagnostic software on their websites so that you can boot from floppy and give it a factory test.

Mzee
04-10-2003, 01:14 AM
I had a similar thing happen when I installed a slave drive which "vanished".
I was using "Boot Magic" & it had hidden the drive.
Solution, run "Boot Magic Config" & untick extended partition hiding.
If you are not using Boot Magic, it may have been hidden during formatting. If you have "Partition Magic" you can check this and unhide it.You can also Activate the Primary. (fdisk will do this)