PDA

View Full Version : Windows 98SE updates problems

supergran
01-10-2003, 10:24 PM
When ever I try and download any of the updates from microsoft, my puter freezes on the page it says 'wait when we see what updates you need' or something similar. I did do a search on the ms site, and all I could find was something about if you have 2 ie's installed in the puter, it will freeze. I am running IE 5.5 only.

Chilling_Silently
01-10-2003, 11:31 PM
It may help if you install IE 6 SP1. You're running Win98, so its not too hard to grab the latest PCW and install it off the Cover Disc. It'll save a lil bit of updates too i believe.

That should solve your problem, otherwise, open up Add/Remove Programs and choose Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5

A popup window will appear, click repair and see if that helps.

Let us know how you get on

Cheers

Chill.

supergran
01-10-2003, 11:45 PM
Chill, I have already repaired IE, even though there was nothing wrong except it won't give me updates. LOL I had been hesitant to install IE6 cos of the bugs with it. But I guess if I have ta, I have ta. Thanks. And yes, I do have it on pcworld discs, and netguide discs, just hadn't got around to doing it.

Chilling_Silently
01-10-2003, 11:49 PM
Well, IIRC if you install IE 6 SP1, there's 3 fixes and thats it, so its not too bad :-)

I dont believe you can use MozilalFirebird/Netscape/Opera to download the updates?!