PDA

View Full Version : Dead Laptop

Mattrix
01-10-2003, 12:29 AM
I picked up a "Toshiba Satellite 2540 CDS" model laptop from a friend just recently, that doesn't go, the battery charges up ok, the lights turn on when you press the power button, but nothing apears on the screen, I've tried plugging in another moniter but still nothing appears,
I don't think the thing is even booting up, I've tried a dos start up disc in the floppy drive, but nothing, I'm thinking there is a problem with the bios or cmos, is it possible that this has been erased? If so how do you go about restoring it?
Any ideas would be great

Murray P
01-10-2003, 11:14 AM
Find out what the motherboard is then get hold of the manual to see if it has a jumper on the board to short (reset) the CMOS. Other possiblities are a dead CMOS battery, a loose connection or socket.

Having had nothing to do with laptops I do not know what the norm is re CMOS, but a search on the net for that model should turn up some answers.

HTH Murray P

Lohsing
01-10-2003, 11:24 AM
Try taking it to Portables Plus... IIRC they service Toshiba laptops in Auckland.

Whereabouts are you based?

Lo.

beama
01-10-2003, 12:44 PM
Toshiba huh, do you have a orange flashing light. Try this remove the battrey then reinsert it then try start up.

Graham L
01-10-2003, 02:30 PM
It's probably got a program (TSETUP.EXE ?) on the hard disk to do BIOS setup. :D That should be available for download to use from a floppy.

To connect another monitor you've probably got to use a function key (+ the Fn key for "special" function) to switch the monitor.)

Of course the computer might be broken. :D

Mattrix
03-10-2003, 08:46 PM
Hey thanks for the replies, does any one know where on the web I could find info about the thing, like to reset the bios etc

pjg54
03-10-2003, 08:50 PM
the manufacturers web site is the first place you should look, they normally have support and download options so try www.toshiba.com or www.toshiba.co.nz

beama
03-10-2003, 08:53 PM
To get into the bios press the esc key on bootup you will then be asked for a bootup password if you have one, if you do and you dont know it the only people I know of that can reset it is The laptop company. BTW what was wrong with it?