PDA

View Full Version : question for xtra

heni72847
30-09-2003, 07:11 PM
since xtra is a bit slow replying my question
is there anyone here who knows the answer??

I currently have flat rate dial up with xtra
I just recently installed a second phone line
Also my current xtra account's email is filled with junk every day

What I want to do is to change the old phone number xtra thinks I'm dialling from to my new 2nd phone number so I can dial without paying extra money
Because of the junk I'm receiving, I also want to change the user name of the account so the email address can be different
Could you please tell me the procedures and any costs involved?

Thanx in advance

metla
30-09-2003, 07:18 PM
Xrtra dont care what line you dial from,But if you have 2 computers hooked up at the same time they sting ya for the double usage.

cyberchuck
30-09-2003, 07:20 PM
You'll need to contact Xtra to get an account change, but like Metla said - if you have 2 computers using the same connection at the same time then you get charged $2.50 per hour or part thereof for the second computer...

CyberChuck

godfather
30-09-2003, 08:19 PM
> I currently have flat rate dial up with xtra
> I just recently installed a second phone line

> What I want to do is to change the old phone number
> xtra thinks I'm dialling from to my new 2nd phone
> number so I can dial without paying extra money

There is absolutely no identification between any phone line and a dial-up account. Once you have a dial-up account you could use any phone line in NZ and it would not make any difference.

I connect in Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch, Invercargill. It does not matter, what does matter is that you log-in using your log in name and password.

This was mentioned the other day, someone said "we have a line at the house that has our dial up internet connection on it". Perhaps the ISPs should make it clearer. For Xtra, provided you can connect using 087 303030 it will work. Any domestic line will do. If its a commercial line, then the bill payer will get charged 5c minute for any calls, including 0800's

You only pay extra connection charges if you connect more than once at any time. If you logged on from location A, and while connected, you (or someone using your details) logged on from another location B you have a second concurrent session, and extra charges.

Many families that have a flat rate connection "share" it with their kids who are away at uni. They just allocate times when each can use it, and they dont have concurrent sessions.

The only "connection" between a phone number and the internet connection is the number xtra use for billing purposes. That just allocates the charges to the bill, its nothing to do with any need to use that number.

ADSL is of course phone line dependent. Its a special signal on that line.

As to wanting a new identity, what you want is a new mailbox and email address. I think you will find that is the standard sign-up rate.

heni72847
30-09-2003, 11:13 PM
thanx for ur replys guys...
way more useful than what xtra finnaly sent me

heni72847
30-09-2003, 11:24 PM
um.. just to clearify
so xtra doesn't care what fone number you dial your account from
they just need your fone number for billing

and to get a new username/identity
i have to cancel my current account and just sign up for a new one???

can't i some how skip the $30 sign up fee thingy??

metla
30-09-2003, 11:27 PM
uh,Yeah,you can dial up from any line.

And....It shouldn't cost anything to change your account details,just ring xtra.Certainly don't need to cancel anything or sign up for anything.

godfather
01-10-2003, 12:37 AM
> And....It shouldn't cost anything to change your
> account details,just ring xtra.Certainly don't need
> to cancel anything or sign up for anything.

But from your original post, you want a new identity, as in a completely new e-mail address. AFAIK that is still regarded as a new connection.

Doesn't hurt to ask, but I certainly would have thought the creation of a new account would be classed as a chargeable service. Always used to be.

You could probably get an alias free, but thats not going to help with spam.

Chilling_Silently
01-10-2003, 12:59 AM
Here's a bit of an Anti-Spam tip for you:

Only give out email aliases

With Xtra, IIRC, most accoutns get 5 free email aliases.

Use one with friends, and one to sign up to Online places with.. When you're getting a fair bit of spam, simply close the one you use for signing up with online accounts and open another one.. that's it, all mail bounces that went to that account, and you can still keep the one you use with your friends/family/collegues :-)

Works for me, although I've only had 1 Spam email in the past 2ish months with Orcon :-)

Mizz_1Nique
01-10-2003, 02:02 AM
In regards to your spam.... here is the email that I got from xtra last week

"Dear Xtra customer,
In November, we're introducing anti-spam protection for all of our email
customers at no additional cost.
Spam is advertising email that you didn't ask for and, more than likely, don't want.
It's frustrating, frequently offensive and deleting it wastes valuable time. We also know it's a problem that's affecting more and more of our customers.
That's why the Xtra anti-spam filter will offer you the tools to quickly and
effectively get rid of spam email that you don't want.
Put another way, it's all you'll need to take back control of your mailbox.
You won't need to download any software or sign-up to anything - as an Xtra customer you'll receive the service automatically.
We'll be in touch before we launch the anti-spam filter with more details on how the service will work.
You can also keep an eye on http://xtra.co.nz/antispam for updates.
Kind regards
The Team @ Xtra"

So hopefully that will solve some of the problems

metla
01-10-2003, 02:11 AM
After recieving that mail from xtra i mailed them and told them to keep there filthy hands off my email,They replied by mailing me the original mail a second time.

lol.

Anyway,People just have to be more awere of the need to keep there main mail addy private,I haven't had any spam mail to my xtra account in 2 years solid.

One thing i always do though,If somebody thinks its fun to forward a "funny" pic or other such crap to everyone in there address book,and im one of them,i mail em and tell them to remove me from there address book and not to send me any mail unless thier's a reason for it.

Mr Nice guy.

Chilling_Silently
01-10-2003, 02:33 AM
You're not the only one Metla ;-)

Thomas
01-10-2003, 08:41 AM
I think you have to get emails to get spam.;)