PDA

View Full Version : Compaq Deskpro Hard Drive Change

Happy Harry
30-09-2003, 05:18 PM
From a previous post, I have been having problems trying to load SP1 For XPPro because of product key issues.
To get around this problem I decided to install a new hard drive, load the Compaq Recovery disk,then install my original drive and copy settings, data etc. back to the new drive.
The problem is that when I put in the new drive and boot from the Recovery Disk I get a Orange splash screen that says "CONTACT THE COMPAQ HELP DESK"
I have proved that the Recovery disk is bootable, I have proved that the new drive is working as I have fdisked and formated the new disk.
The new drive is a 40G as opposed to the old at 20G. Does the recovery disk only recognize the original disks specs and so errors on the new disk.
I spoke to Compaq support but had a lot of problems understanding the guy on the Helpdesk. Globalisation doesn't always work.

Any Ideas
Anyone ???

HH

Any ideas
Anyone ???

HH

Merlin
30-09-2003, 06:00 PM
Contact Compaq again or the supplier of the computer.

Men are four:
He who knows not and knows not he knows not, he is a fool -- shun him;
He who knows not and knows he knows not, he is simple -- teach him;
He who knows and knows not he knows, he is asleep -- wake him;
He who knows and knows he knows, he is wise -- follow him!
- Lady Burton (wife of Sir Richard Francis Burton), given as an Arabian proverb

Graham L
30-09-2003, 06:15 PM
Does that model have a maintenance partition on the hard disk? If so, put the original one back in, start it, and get into the BIOS setup. That will give you an option to make a set of (3 or so) floppies to install the partition on another disk. That might be the problem. (You'd need to remove the partitions on the new one, so it can put its own small type 12 partition in).