PDA

View Full Version : my cd rom is faulty

ggyy
30-09-2003, 04:01 PM
everytime i insert a cd into the drive, once the drive closes, it automatically opens again.....going on forever and i can never get it to stay in there.

My pc:
has windows 95
133mHz
16 meg ram
24* cd rom

somebody
30-09-2003, 04:29 PM
Does the LED on the front of the CD drive start flashing, as though it's reading the CD inside (or trying to)?

Graham L
30-09-2003, 05:30 PM
It might be faulty. :D But try making sure that Windows doesn't try to do clever recognising disk change and automatically running CDs. (My Computer, System, Hardware Manager then CD properties (I think). Someone will yell with more accurate information.

That will give the drive time to settle rather than having the system talking to it all the time.

vk_dre
01-10-2003, 02:28 PM
no offense but ur pc is kinda old, it mite help if u bought a newer one? :)

Graham L
01-10-2003, 03:02 PM
vk: That's not a very helpful suggestion. Some people use older gear; there's nothing wrong with that.

Michael: any progress?

vk_dre
01-10-2003, 03:27 PM
> vk: That's not a very helpful suggestion. Some
> people use older gear; there's nothing wrong with
> that.

wtf?! i never said there was nythin wrong with using it, just said its a bit too old, wot else can i say, all u guys have said wot i wanted to say, so wot else can i do but give a diff. suggestion, and if u think it aint helpful do i really give a damn?

I thought it was helpful so i said it, if u dont think so then i dont really care. I'm not tryin to get into a grudge but i just tried to help, and i dont care wot other posters think of my suggestion, if the person who posted this topic gets his problem fixed then i'll be happy, if he doesnt i'll try to my best ability to help them solve it, i dont need ur 2cents worth.

vk_dre
01-10-2003, 03:36 PM
Sorry bout the above post. :) i just broke my arm last week and came bak from the doctors, feelin like crap, sorry if anyone got offended. :)

nomad
01-10-2003, 04:08 PM
my P200 runs fine on win95. to the poster, u can get a new CDR drive or a CDRW - they both cheap enof these days as DVD-RW are coming out from shops of harvey and so...

www.pricespy.co.nz
if its a bit sluggish, up the ram may be enof for u...

FrankS
01-10-2003, 07:47 PM
Go to Start | Control Panel | System | Device Manager | Click+ CD ROM | Cl Drive Name | Properties | Settings
This should tell you the name of your CD ROM drive and settings Suggest disable Auto Start and Start using click on your ?D drive
Suggest with tray out use a PLASTIC nosey parker to remove any visible dust
When you can run your CD ROM the following gives a list of drive makes and driver location
WIN 95 CD ROM | Drivers | Hc195.hlp | Storage | CD ROM Drives | List of drives and driver location
Replacement CD ROM drives are cheap but make sure it will run with WIN 95