PDA

View Full Version : DVD copy

muki
30-09-2003, 04:29 PM
I am considering buying a dvd copier for the PC and have seen software
that can copy dvd using a normal dvd player instead of a dvd
writer. Has anyone tried this using programs such as DVD Copy Gold
and does it really only need blank CDR'S.
Is the quality the same and what brand of dvd player is recommened.
I already have a CD writer and CD rom on a Pentium 166.

Chilling_Silently
30-09-2003, 04:56 PM
There is no way you can get a P133 to play DVD's, however, this may help:
http://www.dvdshrink.org/

muki
30-09-2003, 05:02 PM
I don't really want to play the DVD on the PC but just to copy it.
I have a separate DVD player which plugs to the TV.

Chilling_Silently
30-09-2003, 05:12 PM
To copy it, you'll need a DVD-Writer which can sustain a transfer rate from your PC at the equivalent of 8x for CD-R/W media (1200kbps) which is 1x Write on a DVD Burner.

For that, you will need around a 450Mhz PC, depending on the amount of RAM you have.
You may get away with slightly lower for burning if you use Buffer Under-run protection, however it isnt advisable.

You can use DVD Shrink on any PC to Rip from the DVD to your HDD, but you wont be able to burn the files on your current 133Mhz sadly.

I hope this helps

Cheers

Chill.

Chilling_Silently
30-09-2003, 05:14 PM
Just a few other things

166Mhz.. sorry.. got mixed up with 133, but its still not high enough to burn sadly.

I would advise you go for a DVD-R/W burner, and you can pick one up from QMB.co.nz for a good price.

And no, you do need DVD Media, not CD-R/W, although it can write to those also, just not DVDs to it :-)

Cheers

Chill.

Graham L
30-09-2003, 07:04 PM
I've got a CDRW in a P166. It handles 4X writing (using Linux cdrecord). The programme refuses to go any faster, though it seems to be keeping up very well -- the pipe and buffer stay full most of the time. I'd think that Windows might be slower. :D

Billy T
30-09-2003, 07:08 PM
I think that what Muki is asking about (possibly without knowing the true story) is playing a DVD on a DVD player and converting the data to a lower quality format compatible with CDR. Probably needs two or three CDs to cope with the amount of data though.

This was discussed on PF1 several weeks/months ago I think. A search may turn it up.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

phylip
30-09-2003, 07:09 PM
it only copies the movie it doesnt copy the xtras what it does is rip the vob files off the dvd onto your hard drive so make sure you have lots of room at least 5 gig
next it converts the vob files to mpeg or avi depending on the program specs
then you can use nero to make a svcd or a vcd with your cd writer most movies need to be split up and half of the movie goes on each cd

metla
30-09-2003, 07:11 PM
hmmmmm...

A program called dvd2vcd copies the dvd,then formats it into vcd cd images.

dead easy.

vk_dre
30-09-2003, 07:11 PM
y dont u just rip the dvd to avi, saves space, and always accesible for future use.

Chilling_Silently
30-09-2003, 11:47 PM
> y dont u just rip the dvd to avi, saves space, and
> always accesible for future use.

Got a tutorial or an application I can look at?

I've ripped the vob's to my HDD with DVD Shrink.. then...?

csinclair83
30-09-2003, 11:55 PM
i thought copying dvds were illegal?

peachy coming from me since i tried i know..but yeah...

PoWa
01-10-2003, 12:09 AM
All you need is a dvd-rom/cd-rw drive. I think they are about $100. Follow one of the DVD->SVCD guides on afterdawn.com. VCD is average quality, you want svcd if your stand-alone player can handle it. Remember if you are backing up to 1cd or more the quality isn't comparable to dvd. If you want quality, you buy a dvd writer.

tweak\'e
01-10-2003, 12:39 AM
sorry but what your asking to do is not really possible on such a slow pc.

your pushing it just be able to burn cd's let alone try to copy dvd's. if your looking at converting dvd's to divx or vcd then your pc is woefully underpowered. eg my 1.4ghz atho takes 8 hours roughly to convert a dvd to divx, your pc would take a few months!

vk_dre
01-10-2003, 12:59 AM
> > y dont u just rip the dvd to avi, saves space, and
> > always accesible for future use.
>
> Got a tutorial or an application I can look at?
>
> I've ripped the vob's to my HDD with DVD Shrink..
> then...?

Just create a .d2v file with DVD2AVI, then use Gordian Knot to create an .avs file, or even use Virtual Dub to create the .avs file, now just use Virtual Dub with the suited compression and the audio track u should have created with DVD2AVI chosing "Demux Audio" in the Audio menu in DVD2AVI earlier, then presto! Thats just a simple overview, of gettin ur AVI file. I used this (http://www.afterdawn.com/articles/archive/dvd2divx_anamorphic.cfm) guide to teach myself, but it is confusing, then i playd around with Virtual Dub and found a way more easier method as i mentioned above, it elimanates all the other steps in creating the avi from the vob files.